Advice on Bath/Bristol Needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by moz414, Sep 6, 2007.

1. moz414

moz414

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    We are moving down to the Bath/Bristol area within the next 5 months and I'm looking for any information on the area and where are good places to buy. My wife is hoping to be working in either Bath or Bristol (depends on her job transfer) and I will be working in South Cerney. We've been searching the net and found several properties in the Keynsham, Knowle, Hanham area. Does anyone here live in these places and can tell me what the area's like to live in? We are going there next weekend to have a look around but any advance info on where to look/avoid would be appreciated.

2. stuart1976

stuart1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +253
    I was born an bread in Bath and only moved out after 27 years about 3 years ago to little village called Timsbury which is about 8miles (20mins drive) outside both Bath and Bristol.

Bath is a great city with lots of areas which are nice to live in. There are a couple of dodgy area but I would not want to name on the public forum so if you want me to PM you then I can. At the moment the house prices in Bath can be quite expensive but as with everywhere else depends on what area of the city you are looking in.

As for Bristol, not too sure myself. I hear the usual stuff about what area are a bit rough but without having actually lived there or seen it I can comment.

Keynsham is another nice town, I'd say about 1/3 the size of Bath but located between both Bath and Bristol so commuting is quite easy. There are loads of Park and Rides in Bath and Bristol now if you don't want to take the car all the way into the city.

I would also recommend checking out some of the smaller village and towns around Bath and Bristol - Midsomer Norton, Camerton, Radstock, Hallatrow, Marksbury and Timsbury. All within about 20-30mins of Bath and Bristol and you may find the house prices cheaper than being in the cities.

3. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I live nowhere near the area but know Bristol reasonably well and while not wanting to seem unhelpful the best advice I could give would be to make sure wherever you base yourself it is somewhere that does NOT involve passing through the city centre. It is a complete nightmare especially during current major works there and at any time there is a large function going on such as the Sound & vision show or the balloon fiesta. On 3 separate occasions it has taken me in excess of 2 hours to get just from the M32 to the centre or Ashton Park.
    Good Luck.

4. pmarb

pmarb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    good advice above - try to live on the same side of the city as you need to travel for work , or be prepared for the daily rush hour crawl through town.
    Nice areas to live in Bristol within 2-3 miles of the centre are - Henleaze, Westbury-on-Trym, Westbury Park, Redland, Clifton, Cotham. - Bedminster North Street area is up and coming for south of the river. (i've lived in Redland for the last 16 years)

5. Simon_143

Simon_143

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I have lived in Bristol all my life and as with most places it has it nice area's and its bad ones.

If working in Bath then I would look around Keynsham, Bitton, Hanham, Willsbridge, Wick, Saltford area's all are on the Bath side of Bristol, plus travel to South Cerney would'nt be to bad either.

Area's closer to South Cerney with reasonable routes into Bristol or Bath would be Frampton Cotterell, Yate, or Chipping Soldbury.

House prices in Bristol and the surronding area are rising all the time at quite an alarming rate, and some of these area's above are of the more expensive area's to live in, Knowle which you mentioned would be one of the cheaper and maybe not so nice area's in Bristol.

6. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +16,969
    I would avoid Oldfield Park in Bath, unless you are interested in a BTL for students

I think Lower Weston, Combe Park, Wellsway are good areas to buy, might be pricey

... I lived in Bath '95-'00