1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on B&W 603 and 602 speaker upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Craggers, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Craggers

Craggers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Current system:
    B&W 603 S2 front, LCR6 S2 centre, 602 S2 rears. SONY STRb 930 Receiver

The room is 29' x 15', vaulted celing, hence going big with the original set up. However, it now sounds quite 'boomy', and I'm looking at 2 steps upgrade (in line what my relationship will bear). Main use is DVD, arthouse movies, though I am partial to the occasional Star Wars /Matrix etc.

Stage 1 reshuffle, now (circa £1000). One piece of advice to improve the current setup at low cost has been to sell the 603's, move 602's to front, add subwoofer (B&W 675?), and add 601's (or 602's) as rears. And possibly spend £400-500 on a new amp receiver.

Stage 2 upgrade, by end of year (£3000+?). Looking for a real improvement whilst maintaining the aforementioned relationship. 7 channel a must, liked the B&W CDM range when I purchased the existing setup.

1 Any B&W owners with comments on the stage 1 from B&W owners?
    2 Any advice on recommended speakers or amp that would suit the room and typical use. Not commited to B&W and would consider new or used.
    3 Any suggestions on staging upgrades, e.g. would spending on a £750-1000 amp with existing speakers now make the biggest difference? Or subwoofer that could be part of the future system?

Thanks!

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would save and upgrade at the end of the year to make the jump worthwhile.If you like the B&W sound,the older 800 matrix speakers offer tremendous VFM,maybe some 803s3 or 804,can cost about £500-700.See if you can find matching centre,maybe hard,or add the HTM7.

Then add the 700 series sub,about £1,100.With the remaining £1,000 odd get a better amp.Sell the 603,LCR,put the 602 as rears.

3. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I would suggest you experiment first, and try to determine if the room acoustics are causing your problem. If the inherent properties of the room are "bad", you will not get any great benefit from upgrading.

4. monkeyboy69

monkeyboy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there I had a similar setup but with 602 on the front coupled with the sony 930 in a room of similar size but with a pdr 10.
    I realise you had the 603 on the front instead but you'll see my steps.

firstly I changed the sub, which totally wiped out any boominess and just gave solid bass. I was going to go for the velodyne spl1000 mk2 but opted for the spl 1200 mk2 in the end. Now that the bass was sorted I wanted a cleaner sound going to the speakers and went for the arcam av8/p7 combo. Yes its dear but looking around you can find some good second hand deals out there. This has completely changed the way the 602 sound and will give you a few months more enjoyement out of those speakers.

This is the stage I'm currently at and i'm looking to replace the speakers. I'll probably move up to either the 7 series or the new 8 series , going for either 705 or 805 up front coupled with their respoective centres.

So my advice is upgrade your amp first then save for the speakers