Advice on audio controller (wireless eg sonos)

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by D Barnes, Feb 6, 2014.

1. D Barnes

D Barnes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there, I'm hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the best option/options for an audio setup at home.

We have a Spotify subscription and what I want to do is be able to play Spotify through my TV/Home Cinema system in the lounge but be able to select the songs to play from my laptop. I don't have a smart TV but I do have a WD TV Live box, which I know has a Spotify application on it, but it's so limited, slow and useless that it takes ages to try and search for what you want on there. There doesn't seem to be a way that I can select what playlist/record to play, from my computer. I've come to the conclusion I need a new device - ideally one that will let us also play Netflix and youtube on (which the WD TV Live currently does). I don't have any more HDMI ports free so it would ideally need to replace the WD TV Live box really.

In addition I'd also like to do the same thing (i.e. control the songs from my laptop/smart phone) but play it through our outdoor speakers which are run off our kitchen stereo. Currently We have a Samsung tablet in the kitchen and this connects via 'Audio In' to the kitchen stereo. So whilst we're in the kitchen we can very quickly/easily use Spotify on the Samsung tablet to play what we want in the kitchen/garden and that's fine. But if we're in the garden we can't as we'd have to keep going in the kitchen to change playlists or tracks on the Samsung tablet. Hope this makes sense.

I know there are various devices around, but I'm a bit out of touch with what does what. Happy to spend on a Sonos device if this is the best option but not sure which devices I need.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Many thanks in anticipation

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Not sure if it's the best option, as it is a bit klunky, but it's certainly the free option. It also requires your WDTV Live to behave properly as a UPnP/DLNA streaming renderer, the computer with the stored music files to be a Windows one, the laptop to be a Windows one and the smart phone to be an Android one.

If you can run your Spotify subscription on the computer, you should be able to capture its sound and allow it to be streamed over the network, with free software, to any network streaming device that supports UPnP/DLNA. You can install a free decent UPnP/DLNA music server on your computer to maintain a music library for the stored music files and also allow them to be accessed by any UPnP/DLNA streamer on the network.

You can install a free app on the Samsung tablet to turn it into a UPnP/DLNA renderer, allowing it to stream and play both the captured Spotify sound and the stored music files from the computer.

Installing a free UPnP/DLNA controller app on the phone and a similar free software on the laptop will allow you to search the music library to select which music files from the computer to stream to either the WDTV live and/or the Samsung tablet. It will also allow you to 'switch' to stream from the Spotify captured sound on the computer to either the WDTV Live and/or the tablet.

Installing a free Spotify remote control app on the phone and similar free software on the laptop will allow you to control the Spotify application to select your music, as if you were on the computer and thus control the Spotify music that is being sound captured and network streamed.

It's certainly not for complete non-techie types to sort out, has quite a few pre-requisites, but should be relatively simple to use once set up and working.

3. D Barnes

D Barnes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Cebolla, although sounds like it could be problematic with compatibility/reliability that seem to occur on most things like this. I've found there is a 'WD TV Play' device for £50 which I can use in the lounge which allows Spotify to be controlled from computer/smart phone. And for the Samsung tablet in the kitchen, I believe there is an application that allows you to control it from your Samsung phone (which I have), so I'll give this setup a go :)

4. Killr2589

Killr2589
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For your problem definitely go Sonos