Advice on ATA's

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by teb1980, Aug 28, 2006.

1. teb1980

teb1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,

My experience with VOIP so far has just been with softphones. I have been experimenting with several different providers, with the quality better on some than on others (for example I found voip.co.uk and voipcheap to be pretty good quality, but sipgate to be very bad). My question is, if I were to make the next step and purchase an ATA (I have been looking into the Linksys SPA3000), is the quality likely to be better than it is with a softphone?

Thanks for your help.

2. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,889
    To be honest there is no reason why an ATA should be better or worse if you have a properly configured PC...But that is the big IF, I mean what is a properly configured PC....You say Sipgate was very bad for you...I use them as my main provider and find them very good...Unfortunately I think you are are comparing the wrong things...Were you using the same software? What other services are running on your computer? Are you using other Internet activities at the same time, ie. downloading or browsing? Have you got any form of quality of service prioritisation on your router? What compression levels were you comparing? What sound card are you using? Etc...There are so many parameters.....By getting an ATA you remove the PC getting hung up and doing different tasks and/or internal interference out of the equasion, but you may still have a networking problem that ATA's won't solve by itself....The primary purpose of an ATA is not and shouldn't solve a quality issue....

3. jjston

jjston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my experence is, ata has much much much better quality. maybe because my pc not configured well.

4. hauntedunix

hauntedunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally, I use a Zoom ATA with tel.aql.com - never had a problem, although it did have a few weird bits when it came to STUN.

I'm not fond of ThePlanet's ATAs - they don't (or rather, the one I tried) didn't by default use a british set of tones, but rather an American one. This meant my cordless analog phones broke when it tried to pick up a line.