Advice on Arcam to replace dead Yamaha AVR

JiffOrangery

Hi,

My Yamaha RX-A3050 gave up the ghost this last week (or maybe my 18 month old did something to it, we will never know...) so it's that time again to start looking for a new receiver.

My current setup is 7.1.4 (using an older Yamaha RX-A2067 to power the main L+R), I watch mainly movies, mostly 4K discs and streams, through a JVC x5000.

I like the Arcam idea, especially the Dirac capacity so have been reading around, reassured that most of the bugs have now been solved in the newer AVRs. Here comes the dilemma....

I have been offered a AVR10 for £1400 a AVR20 for £2400, I'm also aware that ARV390 I'd available for around £1300 at Peter Tyson and there are multiple second hand choices for a AVR850 for the £1500-2000 range. I like the new receivers for looks and ES DACs but a little worried at lower power for the base models, I'm also wondering if in future 9.2.6 capability would be workable (my cinema room is around 4 X 5m) and worth the extra £1K. The older models get great reviews too. No idea what to do? Advice? What would you do? I have an itchy trigger finger and don't want to regret it.

Jon

Last edited:

Zarf2007

The avr390 is great value for money and partnered with an amp like this: IOTAVX AVXP1 give the same performance of the 850 as the internals other than power amplifiers are the same.

just depends if you need the streaming capabilities, eARC and potential hdmi 2.1 update down the road that the new Arcams offer.

JiffOrangery

Thanks for the replies, I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVR10 last night, it was only £100 more than the AVR390 so I figured why not and didn't think the extra for 7.1.6 was worth it.

Seller updated to latest firmware and dropped it off today, I've just finished hooking it up, not had chance to really play but initial impressions are very good, I've always had Yamaha's (one Marantz which I never jelled with) but this sounds somehow more driven, steering is much better than the Yamaha and base has good punch (I'm using Kefs all round). Very happy given I have done no config at all so far... Very much looking forward to the journey ☺️

barrywi

Thanks for the replies, I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVR10 last night, it was only £100 more than the AVR390 so I figured why not and didn't think the extra for 7.1.6 was worth it.

Seller updated to latest firmware and dropped it off today, I've just finished hooking it up, not had chance to really play but initial impressions are very good, I've always had Yamaha's (one Marantz which I never jelled with) but this sounds somehow more driven, steering is much better than the Yamaha and base has good punch (I'm using Kefs all round). Very happy given I have done no config at all so far... Very much looking forward to the journey ☺️

barrywi

I have an Arcam AVR 850 and I tried using Dirac to do a setup twice which I thought worked well and improved the audio image in both stereo and 5.1 . I then upgraded my sub to a JL sub ( quite expensive) and part of the deal was that the supplier delivered it to my house and performed a full Dirac setup. He spent well over 90 minutes and made some adjustments to the speaker setup as well as the Dirac adjustments. To say I was pleased is an understatement. Most of the bass is now handled by the sub which is mega powerful and is really tight. My large front speakers are very good but are close to a wall which causes confusing bass so he bunged up the ports at the rear with spare tea towels ( seriously) which meant most of the bass was transferred to the sub. He also tweaked the Dirac curve so it was not completely flat .
The final result was tight, accurate and scarily loud . Try Master and Commander chapter 4 when the English ship is hit by cannon balls. I wanted to hide behind the settee!
Anyway if you can afford it buy a JL Sub and get your system set up by an expert….well worth it.
I am not a JL salesman.

JiffOrangery

Thanks for the advice, I'm really enjoying the experience so far but haven't yet ventured into direc, I will be looking at that this comming weekend! Noted on the professional installation, I'll try myself for fun but yeah well up for getting the pros in!

barrywi

Just for info the guy who sells JL and did the Dirac set up lives in the London area. It was a long way for him to come to me in Cumbria but nearer to you.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom