Advice on Anti Virus software

laserbeam

I currently run Bullguard on my laptop and it covers me for three machines.I took it for a cleanup yesterday and the man who did the work said he would rather have Malwarebytes than Bullguard but when I looked I could only see cover for one machine and that cost more than the Bullguard I currently use.On checking online I saw that AVG was supposed to be very good if you get the paid for version.But there seem to be so much choice.I do need cover for two machines so any advice would be much appreciated.

DavidG1

For paid AVs kaspersky, Eset, and Norton Come out consistently top in comparison sites. This months Which? magazine (February 2019), recommends Eset AVAST, and AVG (now owned by AVAST). Bullguard and Bitdefender also do well. Malwarebytes came out poorly in that test. If you are happy with Bullguard I would stick with that.
If you are running Windows 10, the default windows defender has improved steadily and is a reasonable alternative as long as you don’t visit risky sites. Microsoft Security Essentials its predecessor is useless.

Last edited:

DavidG1

Windows defender under Windows 7 is not the same so avoid. Free AVs tend to suffer from 'nag' screens suggesting you pay for the full version or add ons
If you are looking to buy an AV try to avoid buying from the developers website directly you can usually get better deals off Amazon or even WH Smiths

Last edited:

laserbeam

If I keep Bullguard could I run something along side it.My wife has Bullguard on her laptop could I run something along side that as well.Maybe Malawarebytes free edition.I can never remember is Bullguard for Anti Virus or Malaware protection.Whichever one it is not used for I need to get something for that to work on Windows 7 and 10 if that makes sense.

DavidG1

You can use malewarebytes alongside bullguard, but it isn’t necessary - see below, I tend install MBAM, run a scan then uninstall it to prevent it using up resources.
As far as I can tell bullguard comes in 3 flavours, antivirus, internet security and premium protection, they all include anti malware protection

https://www.bullguard.com

So using it with MBAM shouldn’t be necessary
I haven’t used total AV so cannot advise, I would tend to go with the major players I have mentioned if you are going to change at all

Last edited:

laserbeam

I have now installed Malwarebytes free edition to run along side Bullguard and will leave it at that so thanks for the help.

D

Deleted member 27989

I have now installed Malwarebytes free edition to run along side Bullguard and will leave it at that so thanks for the help.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I really wouldn't run multiple products doing the same job.

Anti-virus products are in a constant race to get the latest feature and the latest updates. If you already have a paid license of a product then just use that. Although if it was me, and for home use with no special needs, I would just use the free products. What are you special needs that you think you need paid for products?

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Sophos Home free is all you need.

There really is no need to pay for antivirus these days.

wiz

Distinguished Member
Been using Avast (free) for years. Just an ordinary home user, not been to many dodgy sites so maybe my defences have not been tested.
Works for me!

D

Deleted member 27989

Agreed Sophos Free, Avast, AVG, even Microsoft Defender these days.

On the PC the only reason I use paid software is; commercial use, and ESET had a really good email scanner which was important for me. Most anti-virus will pick it up when you access it, but I didn't even want to access it and only then be warned. But that is not a use case for everyone.

BlooNinja

Novice Member
Avast and Malwarebytes are enough to keep you generally protected if you don't mind the occasional pop-up asking you to buy the full version.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom