Advice on an Xmas Gift.

R

RedCross

I'm after a cheap DVD player for my dad for Xmas.
About 80-100 quid, but must play S-VCD and be multi region.

Anybody have any ideas ? A plus would also be if I could purchase it from a supermarket i.e. Tesco's Asda or Safeways.

Thanks for any help
RC

Also Lidl are doing one far about £80 and tesco have reduced some of their players.

Thanks,
But I need to be sure the ones at tescos are SVCD.
Ayone know ?

Thanks again.
RC

i can guarantee the ones at tesco do not play vcd they are not multi region dont play mp3 and macrovision is not disabled
i have bought one of each model over a 4 week period and taken them all back

SORRY LOOK AT MY POST BELOW I HAVE GOT THE FIRMWARE

It's hard to get VCD/SVCD playback at your price point.

Here's one at Amazon for £89.99 (free delivery if you order before 12 Dec).

B000068NQS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000068NQS/ref=br_lf_ce_h__3/026-0162916-8357215

Doesn't appear to play VCD/SVCD either but is a pretty good player, and does everything else incl. MP3 (it's also multiregion).

If you can increase your budget a tad to £119.99, you can get a Sony, Toshiba or Pioneer player that will do everything you want and deliver cracking images to boot (even Amazon sell them, multiregion as well).

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
when you think about it svcd will be here for some time the amount of people that have cd writers that copy video footage from camcorders and such like vcd is a format that you need on any player that you buy for at least the next 2 years or so if you buy any player today you will want to change it in 2 years any way

I'll have to disagree with Tony on one point.

The two models that I've tried from Tesco do play VCD - one was a Dansai (?), and the other a Technica (?), both at £70. Build quality doesn't feel that great, but they're for parents who aren't really all that fussed.

Suprisingly, the Technica one has Component Output. Neither are MR or have macrovision disabled though, but still pretty good for the money.

i have the firmware to unlock the dansai 1010 from tesco

makes it
region free
macro disabled
vcd compatible
mp3 playable
kodak picture cd compatible

so you dont dis agree ??

also have it for the
apex from asda

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?