1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on an upgrade please!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Ellispa, May 2, 2005.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi All

Currently have a Panasonic AE500, which I am generally very happy with. I've had it coming up for a year now, and recently had the bulb replaced by Panasonic for free because of a faulty unit, so only have about 100 hours on the lamp life.

Thing is, I have the upgrade bug, and don't really know what would make a suitable upgrade from this unit. If I am going to spend the money again, I'd really want something that is substantially better.

My main concerns are that any replacement unit have a HD native widescreen panel, and exhaust from the front or side as the ae500 is placed on a shelf, and is sending all that hot air back on to the wall.

I would also like one that handles blacks a little better than the AE500, and should be at least as quiet as the AE500, preferably a little quieter.

I have ummed and aahhed about getting the AE700, which is about the same price as I paid for the 500, with a few improvements that I like.

But are they big enough improvements to justify another £1200, or if I really want to see an improvement, do I need to spend a bit more?

The Sony HS50 looks good, but, again, is it a worthwhile leap from where I am.

And are there any DLP's out there that would blow the AE500 out of the water for less than two grand.

Waffling now, so any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    Hi Paul

I'v egot the same projector as you, and I have been feeling the upgraditist coming on, but I've had a look at a few PJ's about £1500 and I can't really say they make any improvement over the 500. I'm keeping mine for at least another year in the hope that next year they may be a big leap in quality or the price of 720 DLP will drop to a similar price to LCD models.