• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on amp - Yamaha A-S801 or Micromega IA-400?

Ktbrooke

Standard Member
Hey all,

I have a pair of Dynaudio X14 bookshelf speakers. They are being run through a Yamaha A-S801 100W amp and I like the sound a lot. It has good depth and a holographic kind of feel. however, it's not quite as crisp as I would like. The speakers don't sing, if that makes sense. I get the feeling they might need a great amp to get the best out of them.

I have an opportunity to buy a Micromega amp IA-400 400w amp for a good price but I'm wondering if it's worth the 'upgrade'?

Does anyone have any experience with either amp, or both amps? Maybe someone who understands the specs can give me their advice? I'd really appreciate it. I already tried a Creek Evo 50A amp with the same speakers and found it a bit of a downgrade from the Yamaha in sound immersion, yet the Creek sells for more so shows that price isn't always everything.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Micromega AI-400 -

IA-400 - Micromega

These are very expensive amps, though they are Class-D. I saw one in the USA for about US$3600. I've seen them used for about 1/3rd that amount.

Can I assume you are buying a Used amp, I see many of them listed. If you are buying new or used, can we ask the price?

This might be a good amp, but it is a somewhat obscure amp from a company that has had financial troubles in the past.

And, you have to ask if this amp does what you need done? That I can tell it doesn't have a DAC. Does that matter to you?

The amp is listed at 200w/ch to 8 ohms. That is likely to be an improvement, and the Class-D will sound a bit different than the Class-AB of the Yamaha. That might be what you are looking for. ...or... it might not.

They only way to tell is to listen.

But I suspect, if the Yamaha is not living up to your expectations, before you spend £1000, I would take a long hard look at your Room Acoustics, and that is far more likely the culprit.

Steve/bluewizard

Ktbrooke

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it!

The Micromega amp I have lined up is second hand, so I can't test it before buying. The seller is truth worthy though, so I have no fears about the condition etc. I'm getting it for 1000$. As for a DAC, I play almost all my music via record player or AUX. I do sometimes use the USB capability on my Yamaha but not often.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom