• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on Amp/Speakers

ricjd

Established Member
Hi All

I'm hoping someone could help and tell me the kind of things I need to look for when buying amp/speakers. This is the equipment I have:

Sony 32w4000 32 inch TV
Sony BDP-S350
Virgin V+ box
D-Link DSM-520
Wii :D

What I'm looking for is amp/speakers for when watching movies of DVD/Blu-ray to give me surround sound etc. I'm quick technically minded but have never looked into these things, so I'm not sure what to be looking for. I was wondering if someone could give me some tips/pointers of what I need to be looking for, any links to websites that I can read up on this stuff would be great.

For example I know my Blu-ray doesn't decode surround sound, so I would need an AV receiver that does. But looking at some AV receivers they list so many types, I'm not sure which ones I should be looking for?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks

PSM1

Distinguished Member
To get the full benefit of bluray sound you will need an amp that decodes Dolby TruHD and DTS Master Audio. You may also want an amp with multiple HDMI inputs (assuming your V box uses HDMI) so can use it as a switch (i.e. only have one HDMI cable to TV). Also one that will convert a component signal to HDMI could help (so can get 720 picture from Wii).
If you only want to use the amp/speakers for movies then a satelite system like KSF eggs would be sufficient. If you want to listen to music on them too then maybe better to get standmounts or floorstanders at the front.
Ideally all your speakers will be of the same make/range so that they all match tonally. However, the sub does not need to be the same make as it has no tonal qualities.
Apart from that audition a few different makes/manufacturers around your budget to see what you prefer as everyone is different. One word of warning would be to be firm with the budget as you can quickly get seduced by that slightly more expensive set (along the line of if I ONLY pay x amount more I can get y more features/performance!!!!).
There is loads of advice on this forum, just use the search function.
Good luck and welcome to the world of AV.

ricjd

Established Member
thanks PSM1

To be honest i don't have a budget per say, but looking to see what i could buy for about 300 quid, then see if i would need to save up etc.

i quickly found out after posting this i could see i needed decodes Dolby TruHD, but glad to know to look out for DTS Master Audio decoding as well.

I quite like the look of the Sony STRDG820, as it seems to do everything I need for the Blu-ray player. But then looking into speakers to go with it, I wasn't too sure what to look for etc. The main thing would be music, so would satelite speakers be ok (even though i don't have Sky HOHO!:clap:) with this amp, or would the amp be over kill for thoose types of speakers?

dante01

Distinguished Member
But then looking into speakers to go with it, I wasn't too sure what to look for etc. The main thing would be music, so would satelite speakers be ok (even though i don't have Sky HOHO!:clap:) with this amp, or would the amp be over kill for thoose types of speakers?

You can use any type of speaker, lifestyle micro designs or full size cabinets, but full size cabinets will perform better with music than the lifestyle designs.

You'll pay more for full size cabinets though.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom