Advice on amp purchase

People claim MA is bright, this is nonsense. My opinion.

The MA speakers you own you probably don’t need to suffer trough 100 hours to get optimal sound MA has.

Not the best imaging, but extremely fun, warm speakers at the sane time.

Also they measure quite well too.
Yeah I like them a lot, though I don't have lots of experience with different speakers. Made a big difference when I got them.

Can’t you buy new Denon as example? More secure then buying used.

You don’t of course need 100 watts amplifier, still I advice you to get an amplifier around 50-100 watts.

The resistance (ohm) of the speakers changes with the frequency of the speakers, so it’s always to get an amplifier with more power then you need.

If buying second hand, you consider Yamaha AS801?

But the amplifiers mentioned above well suit the speakers fine, can’t tell for sure. Since I haven’t listed to them.

But Yamaha well give the most engaging sound of the ones mentioned.

If you are comfortable buying used, as mentioned.

Yamaha has released new model. Yamaha AS701 MK2.

If you’re happy with the current speakers, then saving up some money could be wiser.

Thanks for all your replies. From all this, and additional research, I'm maybe thinking either the Marantz PM6005 or the Denon PMA-600NE which it looks like go for around £200/£250 second hand respectively.

Does that sound about right price-wise for those amps and also about right for the speakers I have? Ideally I was hoping to pay around the same price as I did for speakers (£130 second hand) but I don't know if the amp I'd get for that wouldn't be worth the upgrade.
Hi,

I think there is someone here on AVForums selling a Denon PMA600ne for £240 delivered. This is a fair price.

I don't think you'll find a decent amp for £130 unless you are prepared to wait, look around, and get really lucky. There are amps around at this price, but I wouldn't buy anything new and this cheap, and used items are likely to be a gamble.

I think the Denon or Marantz is a good bet.

With these speakers, either a Denon PMA600ne or Marantz PM6007 will have plenty of power to drive these at a good volume. They are quite sensitive and not hard to drive. This is not based on assumptions. I have used the Denon with much larger MA speakers and never turned it past 9 o'clock on the dial. Also used the Bronze 2s and they rocked out with little effort.

In theory this speakers only need 10 watts. So look for 10 watts tube amplifiers. You might perhaps love the sound.

The only problem you most likely lose control on loud volume, resulting in the amplifier clipping.

Buying used is more secure on this forum then eBay.

In theory this speakers only need 10 watts. So look for 10 watts tube amplifiers. You might perhaps love the sound.

The only problem you most likely lose control on loud volume, resulting in the amplifier clipping.

Buying used is more secure on this forum then eBay.
I think a tube amp might cost a little more than £240...would be nice though.

I think a tube amp might cost a little more than £240...would be nice though.
Yes, my bad. He needs to be incredibly lucky then.

I never heard the Denon PMA600ne clip, not once, and I used the Bronze 2s on these for a long time and sometimes very loud. I also used the Bronze 5s, and they were equally loud with little power. I noticed no strain at all going up to 85db (I never listen above that so I don't know if it would clip above that point)).

Used NAD 352MK2....? Lot of current, more then you ever need. Though I had problems with mine.

That’s not to say you would have problems. Perhaps lucky getting Exspoure amp too.

Rega Lo too.

Used NAD 352MK2....? Lot of current, more then you ever need. Though I had problems with mine.

That’s not to say you would have problems. Perhaps lucky getting Exspoure amp too.

Rega Lo too.
I was going to suggest he look at the NAD 316bee also, might only be 40 watts per ch but we all know NAD are very conservative with power ratings, the NAD has a quite linear balanced sound right through the frequency spectrum and pretty smooth on top which should suit those Monitor Audio's. You can pick one of these up for less than £200 off FleaBay right now or £299 new.

Also Helix, Monitor Audio speakers (Bronze and silver at least) have a slight rise in frequency response around the 3-4 Khz region, and with the wrong amplifier this can make them sound harsh on the ear, the 300 and 500 silvers don't suffer as bad as they have a fuller sound which balances this out. The Marantz PM6007 also has a tiny rise in the upper registers which you can clearly hear when compared directly to the NAD or Denon amps.
And as far as the A11 tribute goes, it's not really a lack of power per se, it certainly has enough on tap but it's the way the bass is delivered, Rotel seem to have concentrated on precision and clarity rather than low end grunt, this was what I found when I had one here for a week anyway.
I think with a fuller more balanced loudspeaker the Rotel would be a joy to listen to and well worth what you can pick them up for lately.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom