1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on amp\decoder upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KWB, Dec 12, 2003.

1. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to upgrade my amplifier and I have asked advice on this forum as to what I should purchase. I explained that I was looking for a combined amp\decoder and my budget is approx £800 and I will consider second hand equipment. Recommendations include the Denon A1-SE or a new Pioneer VSX-AX5-S both a big improvement over my Yamaha RX-V630 RDS. However I have looked into the physical size of these amplifiers and noticed they are very deep and approximately 50 mm longer than my TV stand. The use of banana plugs on the speaker cable would make the situation even worse.

I have therefore decided that maybe a better option would be to use a separate decoder and amplifiers. I plan to fit the decoder where my existing Yamaha amplifier is under the TV. The TV is situated in the corner of the room and I was hoping to situate the amplifiers behind the TV.

Can anybody recommend a second-hand decoder and amps within my budget? I am not bothered about all the latest features as long as I have Dolby Digital for DVD, DTS, and pro logic for use with satellite TV. I presume decoders are smaller than the Denon AVC A1SE and will therefore fit in place of my existing amp.

Obviously due to the intended location of the amplifier I require an amp that is no deeper than 13” as it will have to fit behind the TV. I have previously tried a friends Arcam alpha 10 hifi amp that measured 17” x 13” and I believe this will just fit therefore I was considering three of these stacked on top of each other for my 5 channels. Can anybody suggest any other amplifiers that would be suitable, as I understand there are several options from manufactures such as Arcam and Rotel.

My system comprises of KEF Q3’s for main speakers and KEF eggs for the centre & rear channels, Yamaha RX-V630 RDS amplifier and a Sony 325 DVD player. Budget for upgrade is approx £800.

Thanks

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +933
    You'd be hard pushed (or lucky!) to find an A1SE for 800 quid, also these things are large, not only deep (49cms), high (21cms) but bloody heavy (28kg)! Size wise it's a no-go if you are limited for space. How about something like a second hand Lexicon DC2? They can be picked up for around 800 quid or less but you'll need seperate power amps as well (but then you're back into size problems again for some makes).

Maybe your best bet is the Pioneer as you've suggest or even a Denon 3803 but these are still quite large Receivers.

3. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase,

On my original thread Gizlaroc informed me that he had sold his A1SE for a grand a few months ago and i may be able to get one for £900. I may go this high but would rather spend less if possible.

Looking really for a budget decoder without all the features as i need to buy amps as well. If i get seperates i can always upgrade to a Lexicon when funds allow.

4. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am considering a Rotel RSP976 processor and with either an RB985MkII or RMB 1075 amp. Would this decoder\amp set-up be a good entry level into a separate system?

5. KWB

KWB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mods please close.

Bought the Rotel processor and looking for suitable power amp within the classifieds