Advice on Amp and Speakers to buy

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vineet, Jul 20, 2002.

1. Vineet

Vineet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there - everyone seems quite knowledgeable here so I was hoping for some advice. I have a Sony 725 DVD player and wanted to buy an amo and 5.1 speaker package to get the real cinema effect.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should buy? My budget is not big, say £600 or so so I was looking at a package like the Sony SL7A. However, i do like the Mission FS2AV speakers and would therefore need an appropriate amp.

Help!

Thanks

2. PeterL

PeterL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I bought a Yamaha HTiB-45 package about 2 months ago and have been really pleased with it. The previous HTiB package got rave reviews in the magazines and by all accounts this is even better.

It comes with an AV amp including DPL, DPLII, DD, DTS etc as well as an RDS tuner. The speaker package is 5 twin-coned sattelites plus a good sub. An audiophile may turn their nose up at it, but for around £320 from the internet companies such as Empire Direct and Unbeatable it represents great value and delivers a lot for your money.

HTH,

PeterL

3. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had a Scan 2500 DVD player, with 5.1 DD/DTS out. I bought a bargain amp/speaker package (Packard Bell 5800, £59, half price from PC World) just to try out surround sound. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. Maybe just a little thin on top frequencies, but otherwise the sound was full. I think it just suited my room (about 5.5 X 3 m, L/R across the 3m). It has a ridiculously low output by home cinema standards, but still provides more volume than I could use. I later "upgraded" to a Sony HTBE1, but had to return this because by comparison it sounded dreadful (booming base and a seemingly complete absense of mid frequencies).

You don't have to break the bank to enjoy the surround experience, but from my limited experience, you do need to hear something before parting permanently with your money, and preferably hear it in your own home. What works in one room won't necessarily work in another.

4. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd agree with PeterL. the Yamaha htib 45 looks extremely good value in terms of what you get.

the amp even does virtual 6.1/ EX/ ES.

I have the fs2s (which are excellent) but you'd be stretching to get them plus a decent amp to match.

the htib-45 was advertised by hispek in hcc at £332.

having said that... if empiredirect really DO have the FS2-AV in for £369 (and supposedly in stock), then you have a better chance of getting them and an amp for £600.
    (including the yamaha amp included inside the htib-45, think its the 540).

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased the fs2-av package from Empire Direct for £369, when I ordered, late last Wednesday 17th July they were in stock and I have just received them first thing Monday 22nd July. I will be partnering it with the Denon AVR-1602 amp (£262 from HiSpek). The whole lot has cost just over £700 including custom length 4m Ecosse digital coax, s-video scart, VAT and delivery on everything.

Not set up yet though!

AJ

6. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    good news afwk. empire advertised previously but had no stock.

it does say "in stock" (ship in 3 days), so Vineet, your scenario is entirely possible now you want the FS2s.

the 1602 is a good match, I'd also consider the comparable Marantzs, the previously mentioned Yamaha 5540 (the specific model in the htib-45, approx £250), and the equiv Sony if its out properly.

all of these will have DPLII and are a perfect match with the FS2s.

Vineet you already have the DVD player so probably only a short optical cable is required... say £15-30.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Vineet should be OK with any combination in that range, Martin.

Unfortunately I can't site the amp as close to the DVD as I would like, so that's why I needed the longer digital coax. I also purchased it direct from Ecosse (www.ecossecables.co.uk), which probably worked out cheaper than going to a dealer. For anybody's reference, contact Neil at the number on the website.

Regards

AJ