1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on adding a rear centre speaker.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Burt, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to add a centre speaker to my system to play back Dolby 6.1. I curently have Mission 73 Fronts, M7DS rears and M7C1 centre. I am advised that another bipolar M7DS would not be ideal as a rear centre and that I should be looking at a directional speaker.

Can anyone suggest a suitable speaker which will match my missions tonally, would be small enough to mount on the wall and look good visually with the M7DS's??

You would think it would make sense for the likes of Mission to produce a dedicated rear centre which could be purchased as an upgrade.

Any advice greatly received.:)

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The answer is staring you in the face Burt... order up another M7C1 centre.

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Better still, move the M7C1 you have already to the rear and get the new M7C2 centre speaker for the front. It's much better than the one you have now.

4. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never thought of using a front centre speaker as a rear - thought they were set up specifically for dialogue? Anyway your recommendation sounds ideal - I am very tempted to move my m7c1 to the rear and add an m7c2 to front, however I've noticed that the m7c2 is never shown with a grille in any photos - is this the case as my wife is quite sensitive to the appearance of these things.

Will I notice much difference in sound going to 6 channels.

My dilema at the moment is whether to add a rear centre or a sub (which I dont have at the minute) - I'm fairly content with the bass from my M73's, but I assume that a decent sub will make the base 'awsome' rather than just good? - Unfortunately cant afford to buy both sub and rear centre at the minute!

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    M7C2 does come with a grille. Go for a good sub as this will make a bigger improvement than an extra surround speaker. However decent subs start at around £300 and go up sharply from there, so a new centre for around £100 may be better value if you are skint right now.

If you missus is worried about a grille, have you told her about your plans for a sub yet? :eek:

6. Burt

Burt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've managed to talk the missus around on the sub - told her it would be out of sight! Was thinking of one of the following - MJ Acoustics Pro50, REL Quake or Yamaha YST 320. Any thoughts? My local dealer keeps the quake and the Yamaha - says the Yamaha is miles better?

I guess the sub is the better option at the minute to gain the most dramatic improvement. - maybe save the rear centre for a later date when there are more 6.1 movies around?

7. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Those around here who've heard all 3 reckon the MJ is the one to go for. Also see Powerbuys on this forum for Velodyne CHT10 model.