1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on adding a center speaker to a "one-box" system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lampshuk, Mar 10, 2003.

1. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a one-box home cinema system (JVC THA30R) with which I am overall very pleased. It is set up in a fairly large multi-purpose room with an AE100 Panasonic projector.

The weakest link in the system - surprise, surprise - is the speakers. I can't even replace the string-like cable with reasonable stuff because it's hard-wired into the back of the speakers.

I have seen a 2nd-hand JBL center-speaker on sale for about £70 and am wondering whether it's worth replacing the little plastic effort they supplied with something beefier. I want to keep the costs down, so going out and replacing the whole speaker-set is not really an option - unless someone can point me towards some decent speakers for around the £150 mark?

Any advice/opinions?

Lampsh.

2. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess this is either such a dumb question nobody thinks it worth answering, or such a tricky one that nobody wants to take a crack at it.

Perhaps it would be more useful to ask what people think of the JBL TLX103 and whether it's worth considering putting it into a home cinema setup...?

Any help would be appreciated....

Lampsh.

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is important that all speakers are voiced in a similar manner so that when sounds pan around the room (especially across the front) the sound doesn't change.

I think that if you put a JBL centre in with your JVC speakers the tonal change would be so great that it may well end up annoying you.

4. lampshuk

lampshuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. If the shop will let me "borrow" it I might give it a try.

5. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    The main problems with replacing HTIB satalites with better speakers are:

1) The amplifier in the main unit has a preset/fixed crossover setting for controlling the mid and upper frequencies sent to the satalites.

2)This crossover is set quite high (probebly 120hz or higher), if other speaker is used as replacements for the sats the results would not be very good as no mid range and mid bass would be sent to them.

3) The Amplifier is not rated probebly at 6 ohms so a 4 ohm speaker could damage the internal amp and a 8 ohm speaker would get very little power.

But as the others say it may be worth a try.