• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on a XFX HD6850 1024MB GDDR5

viKierannx

Standard Member
Hello everyone,

First post here so I apologize in advance if things don't make sense, and I thought this would be the relevant place to ask this question.

I'm looking at this: XFX HD6850;

XFX AMD Radeon HD 6850 1024MB GDDR5 | HD-685X-ZCFC

But I'm a little concerned about power usage on this and the amps it uses. I've used Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare to see the power it uses but I was wondering if my PSU will be able to support this. I've also been looking at forums trying to find an answer.

My specs are;

i5 2550k @ 3.4GHZ
8GB G.Skill RipJaws X @ 1600MHz
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
HIS HD4850 512MB
AVerMedia AverTV H727 CaptureHD
Lite-On DVD-RW Drive
2 HDD's
1 SSD
3 120mm Fans
2 80mm Fans
Gelid Tranquillo Rev.2 CPU Cooler
Corsair HX520W PSU
Zalman Z11 Plus

So basically with all of the above can I run the XFX 6850 on my Corsair HX520W PSU? Or would I need to upgrade that too? Which I don't really want to do at the moment.

Regards,

Kieran

viKierannx

Standard Member
520W is an awful lot, there might be some doubt if you wanted to run a pair of them but it'll easily handle one 125W card.

Thankyou for your reply! :)

Well I definitely don't want to crossfire them, all I want is one of them and just leave it at that, I just wanted to upgrade my 4850 and seen that XFX HD6850.

So if I was to buy that card I'd experience no problems??

Thanks,

Kieran

LJx

Prominent Member
the 4850 will use more power than a 6850 I would expect, you will be fine I think

viKierannx

Standard Member
Thank-you for that information. I think I will now base my findings on sites like that I thought Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare was a good one but at least now I know.

So this means I can run this card on my Corsair HX520W no problems?? Even with my specs above? (First post) Considering it uses less then the HD4850. But what about the amps it uses? Do I have enough? I think it has 3 12v rails with a combined total of 40A, is that enough?

Many thanks,

Kieran

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Thank-you for that information. I think I will now base my findings on sites like that I thought Performance Comparison Benchmarks @ Hardware Compare was a good one but at least now I know.

It has given reasonable figures for both the 6850 and the 4850 (and they are giving TDP which is slightly different from power consumption) so it's probably a reasonable site, it's just without any details of how they've obtained the figures you don't know if they'll all be that good.

For future reference I generally use the list here, their numbers occasionally seem a little out but they do list sources down the bottom, often multiple ones for each card so you can check if there's any discrepancy. In this case there are figures for 150W and 125W for maximum 4850 power draw but xbitlabs gives the more details and is specifically testing the reference board so I think their estimate is more likely to be accurate.

So this means I can run this card on my Corsair HX520W no problems?? Even with my specs above? (First post) Considering it uses less then the HD4850. But what about the amps it uses? Do I have enough? I think it has 3 12v rails with a combined total of 40A, is that enough?

Watts = Amps x Volts.

Volts is fixed at 12, so it's essentially W=12A, i.e. they're measuring exactly the same thing in this case so if the answer to, 'will it run on a PSU with 480W on the +12v rail' is yes (it is, few 520W PSUs have more), then the same is true for the amperage.

viKierannx

Standard Member
Again thank-you for this information, I will use that from now on.

Well I'm glad it will run then, I will upgrade my PSU in the future but funds don't allow at the moment. I have now ordered the card and will update here if it works okay! :thumbsup:

Thanks once again,

Kieran

viKierannx

Standard Member
I have also noticed that the one I have ordered has two 6 pin power connectors but some of the 6850's has one?? Would this be a problem for power consumption??

Thanks,

Kieran

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I have also noticed that the one I have ordered has two 6 pin power connectors but some of the 6850's has one?? Would this be a problem for power consumption??

The one you linked to in the first post only has one.

2 can either be provided to allow for more overclocking or because the card comes at higher frequencies than normal. The former won't make any difference to extra power consumption but the latter will mean the card likely consumes more power.

viKierannx

Standard Member
It does yes, but on YouTube I've seen some latest unboxings with the black fin'd fan having two and the red fin'd fan having one, and according to the Novatech description it only has one but its black fin'd :confused:

Okay so even if it was two will I still be able to run the card??

Thanks again,

Kieran

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It does yes, but on YouTube I've seen some latest unboxings with the black fin'd fan having two and the red fin'd fan having one, and according to the Novatech description it only has one but its black fin'd :confused:

Yeah, as I said you've got a beefy power supply so even if it's overclocked past 150W to require two power connectors I can't see it being a problem.

cokker

Established Member
If it helps at all I have a Corsair VX550w running a i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz and a AMD HD6950 unlocked/overclocked. The PSU is not breaking a sweat yet.

A lot of people over estimate the amount of power they need and end up buying cheap high wattage units that cant provide the power a quality 500w unit can.

Your 520w unit will be absolutely fine.

viKierannx

Standard Member
Yeah, as I said you've got a beefy power supply so even if it's overclocked past 150W to require two power connectors I can't see it being a problem.

Well that's good news then, was starting to worry a little :rolleyes:

viKierannx

Standard Member
If it helps at all I have a Corsair VX550w running a i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz and a AMD HD6950 unlocked/overclocked. The PSU is not breaking a sweat yet.

A lot of people over estimate the amount of power they need and end up buying cheap high wattage units that cant provide the power a quality 500w unit can.

Your 520w unit will be absolutely fine.

Nice overclock there! :smashin:

Yeah, I do only go for good branded PSU's as it's one thing not to cheap out on!

That's great news! :thumbsup:

viKierannx

Standard Member
Installed the graphics card and it runs great! :D

Thanks for all of your help guys!

cokker

Established Member
Scan no longer do the HD 6850 series, based on the poor coolers alone I wouldn't touch a single fanned XFX card.

I had a XFX HD 4870 with one and it only had 2 temperatures, hot/loud and baking/deafening.

MiniCho5en1

Established Member
I have this exact card (i bought novatechs own branded HD6850 when they sold them and got sent this one) and its ran anything i've tried to play so far at 1920x1080 smoothly.

As for temps, mine idles around 40c and the highest i've seen it was 60c during the GW2 beta. Admittedly i might not play the most demanding games but for what i wanted, its perfect.

As for the games, i've so far played GTA IV, DayZ, FIFA12, PES2012, Rift, GW2, Sniper Elite V2 and a few of the free to play steam games like Blacklight etc and as i said, plays them all smoothly at 1920x1080 :)

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom