1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a suitable DVD Player!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Rogers, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Am looking around for a DVD player to replace my Panasonic S75.

I will be using it to feed a Panasonic 29” CRT flat screen which is Progressive Scan capable.

I will use a component cable to connect to the TV and wish to take advantage of the progressive scan feature. I have a wide collection of DVDs both PAL and NTSC. So the player MUST be both PAL and NTSC progressive capable.

I was looking at the following options:

1. Denon DVD 1910 – Gets good picture and sound reviews. But claimed to have macroblocking issues and is said to be quite slow in layer changing. Also am not sure whether its progressive scan (PAL and NTSC). Is it?
    2. Pioneer DV 470 – Good picture and sound reviews. Not sure whether it flickers on a CRT.
    3. Pioneer DV 575 – Good picture and sound reviews. However is said to flicker a lot on CRT televisions.
    4. Sony DVP-NS930 - Haven't found any reviews yet.

Please advise on which Player is suitable. I usually use the player to listen to a lot of music. 60% Music and 40% Movies so musicality is crucial. However an excellent picture is really important.

If there are other players that I should be looking at (not more than £150), please let me know.

Cheers. :)

Rogers

2. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    All I can tell you is that I bought a Pioneer DV 575 from RicherSounds for only £100 (the best price I can find). I also have a CRT TV (at least until I upgrade and go slimmer in a year of so when all this HD stuff settles down). Picture quality and sound are excellent, you shouldnt be disappointed with this player, plus it plays just about everything I have thrown at it and the one I got from RS was multiregion out the box. :)

3. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    If you want the same picture tweaks and features of the S75, I'd suggest you go for the Panny S97. It is £200 from TotalDigital.biz, and is MR out of the box, and NTSC/PAL Prog Scan capable.

4. dagenham

dagenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can echo stevedster's comments - I have a Pioneer DV 575 ( multi-region from RS) with a 32" Sony digital CRT and haven't had any of the probs mentioned in the forums. The Pio is a great little machine for the price!

5. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks alot guys.
    OK. So the Denon is definately out because I have just been reading another thread on the Pioneer DV 575 and the Denon is confirmed to have alot of the macroblocking issues suspected earlier. I couldn't the grains and macro blocking.

So its down to the Pioneers and the Sony.

Do you notice any of the jagged edges and flicker with this player. Especially with PAL progressive as mentioned earlier in the thread?

Anyone with an idea on the Sony DVP-NS930

6. BittenMailman

BittenMailman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´m looking for a new dvd player and the Sony DVP-NS930 is on the top of my list. You can find 2 reviews on this forum, in the dvd players review section (go to the faqs in this subforum and then reviews). What Video and Widescreen gave it a Best Buy (5 stars picture, 5 stars sound). I found also on the net a few consumer reviews and they all praise it´s picture quality. I´m tempted to buy one for about 350€ in a German on-line store. The average price in stores (here in Portugal)is 450/500€ so i think it´s a good deal.

7. dagenham

dagenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV is a 100Hz Sony CRT and I use RGB Scart at present. There are no jagged edges or flicker to my eyes at least with this setup.

8. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    How about a Limit 900SE? I don't think you'll find a more musical player for such "sensible" money... and the image isn't bad either - they're available from Play for £99.99 :)

Mark

9. Rogers

Rogers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks alot Mark. Will have a look at it.
    Please tell me more of what you think of its picture quality. I know I can't have it all at such a low price. But excellent pictures still matter.
    I will be using it in progressive scan mode on a progressive capable Panasonic CRT (Tau FJ125)
    Cheers :)

10. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi there :)

If you're using a crt TV I don't think you'll notice a great deal of difference in the image quality stakes between a Pioneer 575 and a Limit 900SE. I've owned both, and I recently went back to the Limit, which I'm using to run a Panny AE700 for DVD reviewing purposes. I would prefer the Panasonic DV97 so I can use the HDMI input, but for the time being I'm quite happy with the image the Limit gives me.

It also has a few negatives - it suffers from the chroma upsampling error bug, and the image adjustments could be better - i.e. more in depth. I would also prefer to be able to turn the player off with the remote, and it has a rather bright blue light! For me though, the positives far out way the negatives... especially considering the price :)

Let us know what you decide ;)

All the best,

Mark