Advice on a Sony 5.1 surround system set-up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Roger Jay, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Roger Jay

Roger Jay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony TV (new) & a Sony DVD recorder. I would like to get one of the Sony home cinema setup to take advantage of their self-calibrating facilities & other compatibilities.
    The arrangement of the furniture in my room means that having rear speakers is very inconvenient.
    Is it essential for the rear speakers to be behind the listener?
    Can they be placed to the front, will this cause poor sound or does it just add to a plain stereo effect? A good 2.1 result would be quite acceptable.
    I would hope that the self-calibration process would make the necessary adjustments.
    Any comments welcome, this is my first attempt at any sound other than plain stereo.
    Thanks, Roger

2. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi Roger, and welcome to the forums!

Rear speakers do not need to be placed behind the listening position.
    My understanding is that they can be to the side, facing downwards so that the central axis cross approximately over the head, but not too low. I recall from a Dolby site that they can then be 'swung' rearwards to be placed further behind the listener.

They cannot be placed in front - You will not get the 'panning' effect as sounds move around your position. It will also muddy the overall effect. 2.1 is a very good option, I use only 2 fronts (good speaker IMO) and they create a psuedo centre channel. I am not missing rears / sub at the moment.

3. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59