Advice on a replacement for my Sammy UE50H6400 vs UE48H6670

mkjones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, got a LOT of great advice here back when I got my trust Samsung 8yrs ago so here I am again :)

I'd like a 50" and have a £800 budget

Initially we were all set on the Samsung UE50H6400 which is £699 at Currys.

BUT they have none in stock so I've spent all day online looking around for somewhere else :(

It's £730 at John Lewis but 8 day delivery and Very.co.uk have the UE50H6200 for around the same and that's on 2 day delivery.

However, they have the UE48H6670 IN STOCK at my local Currys - but it's only 48" and although a higher-model I can't really see much of a difference (apart from the different stand).

First question is, are these decent TVs? OR should I just get a different brand/model?

Also - I really don't need any 'smart' functions (I have an Xbox and Chromecast) and there's little chance I'll use any 3D functions.

I do need about 4 HDMI's though - which seems to be a problem with the cheaper (sub £500) sets.

Advice appreciated :)

Try your local richer sounds, same price as currys and 5 year guarantee, there are some around the country. Or, if you can wait, get John Lewis to match richer sounds and deliver to you (or why not collect from a local John Lewis, do click and collect)?

Samsung UE50H6400 | 50 inch 3D LED Smart TV 1080p HD Freeview HD | Richer Sounds

Personally, if JL or RS have the TV, I wouldn't even consider buying from currys (especially as JL will match currys price and you'll get a 5 year warranty and proper customer service)

Thanks, I checked and turns out there are 2 RS stores in about a 40min drive :)

However, they have just told me they are no longer stocking the 50" H6400 :( but they have a few of the 48"s left - dang

Have you been too look at the 48" in store, it may be more than adequate

Otherwise, order it now from John Lewis for click and collect? It's the delivery that holds things up. You can go to a JL or waitrose

Hey, yep, 48 will do - it's just a shame that I was so close to 2 more inch for just £50 more :p

JS can't do collection sadly, only order and wait. Gonna RS now to get the 48 so cheers :)

None of the tvs in store at JL locally either? The shops and online have different stocks

Well, after a farcical couple of hours - I've got a UE50H6400 ON ORDER set to arrive in 2 days.

On your advice I called JL and they claimed that the Sheffield branch (my nearest but still 20 miles away) had ONE in stock. So I reserved it and set off to pick it up :)

Arrived at JL, quoted my reservation number, none in stock, mix up on the system, I'd wasted my drive over :(

After 20 minutes trying to find a decent replacement that they had IN STOCK so I could get one today I gave up and ordered the set to pick it up in 2 days. I should have it for Wednesday.

I was annoyed I'd wasted my time driving over for nothing (I could have ordered over the phone) however they WERE able to price match Currys so I saved £30 which is something.

So all in all not the end of the world but pretty annoying - I guess this is a problem with a central stock system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom