Advice on a projector screen

Eggman

Hi,

Im looking to purchase an in-ceiling mounted projector screen with a 110" screen size for a JVC X5900 (which is about 4m away). The room is not a bat cave (has windows and is untreated) but Ill be mostly watching films after it gets dark (kids may watch their films during light hours). The screen will be fitted into a bulk head which is 2200mm off the ground and the centre speaker is to be in-wall at 450mm off the ground. The L and R front speakers are also in-wall and designed to be set 2680mm apart.

Could you please advice on the screen type and material for this setup? My price ceiling is around £1500 (but would ideally like to stay closer to £1000).

Thanks for any advice you can provide

BW
Andrew

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
GrandView have a 106" In-Ceiling screen available. The price is in between your two budgets. Not sure if that helps :smashin:

Eggman

Thanks mate for the reply. I have been checking that one out and I hear good reviews from forum members on the grand views. I’m worried the 1.1 gain may cause thee screen to be a little bright and grey the blacks, especially in my non-perfect white ceiling room. Guess I’ll have to try.

Harkon321

An ambient light screen like React would be ideal for you really. It makes a big difference in light rooms with some light. They do come up second hand occasionally, sold mine for £700 I think, but was £1700 new.

Last edited:

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Thanks mate for the reply. I have been checking that one out and I hear good reviews from forum members on the grand views. I’m worried the 1.1 gain may cause thee screen to be a little bright and grey the blacks, especially in my non-perfect white ceiling room. Guess I’ll have to try.
Anything upto 1.5 gain is fine. I know I used to run a 1.5 gain electric and a standard 1.2 and you couldn't really tell a difference unless you was being hypercritical. so between 1.0 and 1.1 shouldn't even register

As for other types of screen, I know I've also had customers who preferred the standard matt finish over the React screen as they alter the white pigment a little whereas others prefer them. So it a tough one to answer as to which will be better

Eggman

An ambient light screen like React would be ideal for you really. It makes a big difference in light rooms with some light. They do come up second hand occasionally, sold mine for £700 I think, but was £1700 new.
I have considered the draper ReAct3 and getting a quote off Allan from idealAV for a screen (although he thinks it will be out of my price bracket). Are there any other in-ceiling projectors that come with the ReAct surface? With it being in a relatively wide room Im also wary about viewing angles on an ALR, although it wont really affect me most of the time sat at the OSP.
Anything upto 1.5 gain is fine. I know I used to run a 1.5 gain electric and a standard 1.2 and you couldn't really tell a difference unless you was being hypercritical. so between 1.0 and 1.1 shouldn't even register

As for other types of screen, I know I've also had customers who preferred the standard matt finish over the React screen as they alter the white pigment a little whereas others prefer them. So it a tough one to answer as to which will be better
Thanks for the info, this is very useful.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom