1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a nice quiet Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by lscolman, Jan 5, 2005.

1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Hi,

I've been advised that the Seagate Barracuda range for Hard Drives are quite quiet. Before I purchase, is anyone able to confirm or advise on any other makes I should consider?

Cheers, Lee

2. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Samsung spinpoints are quieter than the barracudas, they dont make them massive though. Generally speaking the more platters the more noise. Dabs have 80gb for under £40.

3. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
  4. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats the one I have in my HTPC, its been sat quietly in the corner for a few months now. My desk PC's have barracudas but the inviroment is noisier so its not so critical. silentpcreveiw.com compared them and the Samsung came out on top.

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The new Seagate 7200.8's are supposed to be muchos muchos quiet.

6. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The spinpoints are much quieter than the 7200.7 barracudas, ive not tried the 7200.8

Seagate drives dont have any acoustic management, I tried 4 different drives in my htpc and ended up with the 160GB samsung spinpoint as it was simply the quiestest.

7. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I must confess I could hardly hear the newest Seagate working it was so silent. Stay clear of Maxtors after my previous experience! :p

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having used both Spinpoints and new Seagates (with NCQ) recently, I can vouch for the latter.

I have x4 200GB SATAs in a RAID0 array on a media server. They are very, very fast and almost totally silent. Whatever sound they make is virtually imperceptible unless you have your ear right next to the case. I also have x2 160GB Spinpoints, also in a RAID0 array, on my HCPC, and x2 more on my workstation; both sets really are completely silent.

However, the x4 Spinpoints are RMA replacements for identical Spinpoint drives, which were all incredibly noisy. There was a constant high-pitched whine from each of them, even at idle. These 4 were maybe just from a bad batch!

All in all, I would definitely go for Seagates, especially with their new 5 year guarantee, lightning speed and larger capacities. In the real world, there is virtually nothing in it acoustically IMHO.

9. onewingedangel

onewingedangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Whats so bad with maxtors? I thought any drive with fluid bearings would be prett quiet. I was going to get a 200gb diamondmax 10 ncq drive, but now Im questioning it.

10. rhinoman

rhinoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have lots of maxtors (16 in one machine:D ) and they are not bad to start with but do get noisier with age, not close to the spinpoint or barracudas though.

11. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have dozens of maxtor drives, never let me down. The out of the box noise depends on the model, they all have acoustic management which makes a big difference as some have it set higher than others. If you use the IBM DOS app and lower the Acoustic level below 128, you can hardly hear them.

I just got a diamondmax 10, it's a great drive. I also have a few 9's and maxlines.

12. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Just got a 200Gb maxtor series 9 diamondmax for £60 at micro-direct ... nice & quiet and haven't even touched the acoustic settings yet :)