1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on a new system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by LBJamaica, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LBJamaica

LBJamaica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am new to this forum and apologise if I have not posted this in the right place.

I have recently moved overseas and am about to set up an entertainment system in my flat. As I currently have nothing i'm looking to set up a system which does everything (computer, music, dvd, television etc) with the minimum amount of clutter and wires.

I am planning to set something up along the lines of:-

1. A laptop for playing dvd's, cd's mp3's and general computing.
    2. A fairly good set of speakers (circa 150pounds) primarily for listening to music (from the laptop) but also to add surround sound to the television.
    3. A flat screen television (to display cable TV channels and DVD's played from the laptop).

Has anybody got any experience of setting up a system like this? Do you know whether this type of system can be set up by somebody with minimal knowledge of electronics / computing? Are all such products designed to be compatible with each other?

Again, I apologise if i've not posted this on the right forum - please let me know if you can suggest a more suitable one.

Thanks

Lee

2. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    probably be best to split the questions up, there are separate forums for home cinema computers, speakers and TVs. You're more likely to get full answers if you ask in each of them, a few more details will be helpful too.

Welcome to AVForums btw :)

My 2p's worth - getting a desktop PC instead of a laptop will be less hassle and probably cheaper (if you compare like for like). It'll also give you more flexibility when it comes to chosing spcific components.

regards
    owain

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    Lee welcome to the forums, as Owain has stated above you are best having a good look round the forums and posting the questions in the relevant sections. You will then get more appropriate answers to your various questions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.