rid1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking for some advice having read @Dodgexander's very useful guide. Our 10 year old Samsung plasma died last week (doesn't even power up anymore) and so looking for a replacement. It's not the main TV in the house (got an 65" E9 for that) but it does get used on a daily basis for general use (watching news etc). Looking at spending around £500 for a 49"-55" 4K panel with HDR (I know that the HDR won't be great at this price point). One thing to note is that the panel faces out onto a large window so glare will have to be considered.

I've whittled it down to a shortlist of 5 however other suggestions are welcome:

Hisense 55U7QF for £500
Panasonic 50HX800B for £540
Philips 50PUS9005/12 for £459
LG 49NANO866NA for £535
Sony 49XH8196 for £485

Thanks in advance

Rid1

Hisense is the only one that can do some titles with HDR okay, and has around twice the brightness of the other TVs for coping with glare.

It won't be fantastic or problem free, but its a lot better than the other options.

Since you have such a mixture of models in your list, beware that each use different panel types. In the guide listings are separated based on IPS and VA, so be sure to understand what each panel type brings to the table before deciding.

Beware also the LG Nano is a mid tier TV rather than low tier like the rest. Its HDR is still poor (worse than the Hisense actually) but it does use a 120hz panel which means motion on it will be an improvement compared to the others.

Hisense is the only one that can do some titles with HDR okay, and has around twice the brightness of the other TVs for coping with glare.

It won't be fantastic or problem free, but its a lot better than the other options.

Since you have such a mixture of models in your list, beware that each use different panel types. In the guide listings are separated based on IPS and VA, so be sure to understand what each panel type brings to the table before deciding.

Beware also the LG Nano is a mid tier TV rather than low tier like the rest. Its HDR is still poor (worse than the Hisense actually) but it does use a 120hz panel which means motion on it will be an improvement compared to the others.
Cheers for the detailed response. I did think the Hisense would be the best middle ground and potentially best value at this price point. I don't think motion will be too much of an issue as there will be no gaming on it - maybe watching the odd football match. Are there any other options (uptown the £650 mark) which you think I may be better off with/worth the extra ££?

Cheers for the detailed response. I did think the Hisense would be the best middle ground and potentially best value at this price point. I don't think motion will be too much of an issue as there will be no gaming on it - maybe watching the odd football match. Are there any other options (uptown the £650 mark) which you think I may be better off with/worth the extra ££?
My advice is to make a decision on the panel type you want first and take it from there. I don't believe there's been any changes to the order of the guide, but there's a distinct lack of mid tier options using VA panels this year, so its best not to spend a set budget thinking you're gonna get a better TV and instead look to pay less (or more) on one of the recommended models in the guide.

For instance, if you step up to a TV like the Sony XH9005 you start to get something more premium, but if you instead opt for a TV like the Samsung Q60T you'll be wasting your money.

My advice is to make a decision on the panel type you want first and take it from there. I don't believe there's been any changes to the order of the guide, but there's a distinct lack of mid tier options using VA panels this year, so its best not to spend a set budget thinking you're gonna get a better TV and instead look to pay less (or more) on one of the recommended models in the guide.

For instance, if you step up to a TV like the Sony XH9005 you start to get something more premium, but if you instead opt for a TV like the Samsung Q60T you'll be wasting your money.
I think I'll go down the VA panel route as wide viewing angles won't need to be accommodated in the most part.

Maybe a bit much but £699 gets the mid tier VA Sony 49xh8505.
I was half looking at the 9505 but the feet are really ugly!

Buy another stand for 30 and viola!

Yeah. I ideally want to keep it below £550. Think I’ll go for the Hisense. The 55” is £500 at Costco so decent warranty as well.

Buy another stand for 30 and viola!
Yeah but the aftermarket stands are ugly too :eek:
I’m not convinced I’ll get the benefit of the better HDR for my uses (I am changing to SkyQ but I don’t game, watch many films or have Netflix!) I’m not even convinced I need a 4K TV, nothing wrong with my Panasonic

I have recently bought the 49xh9505 and was also resigned to buying a replacement stand as the "legs" looked ugly in all pictures. However having got it they are very unobtrusive and unnoticeable! Also have simple but effective cable tidies built in. Put a 900mm soundbar in front and they will disappear! Furthermore they are robust and the 49" is thus more stable than the reported instability of the larger models with tiny feet.
Other half is also happy with the overall appearance of TV

I’ll have to try to see one in the plastic :)

Yeah but the aftermarket stands are ugly too :eek:
I’m not convinced I’ll get the benefit of the better HDR for my uses (I am changing to SkyQ but I don’t game, watch many films or have Netflix!) I’m not even convinced I need a 4K TV, nothing wrong with my Panasonic
You may recall that I was dubious about buying this TV as although we have access to Netflix and Prime most of our watching is in HD via a VM cable box. However all I can say is that the upscaled HD in SDR is amazing. Don't forget that according to rtings.com this TV is capable of a SDR brightness approaching the HDR brightness of an OLED.
My findings so far are to do your own in HD SDR mode. Record an episode of an Attenborough world/wildlife documentary in HD on your Sky box. (do not use i-player!) Replay parts of this repeatedly changing picture mode and then varying brightness in each mode until you find the one that looks best for you.
Also the 49" model does not have the wide angle enhancement or the anti reflective coating on bigger sizes and therefore has a higher contrast ratio.
I was very worried about viewing angles on the 49" but do not see a problem viewing at up to 25deg off centre.
Also this TV faces an extensive SSE facing windows and reflections are not a problem nor is brightness around lunchtime on a sunny day!

Last edited:
I like plug and play, I can’t really be bothered with lots of adjustments! Don’t want to be fussing! Life’s too short :D
Motion is important for football though
I view head on. I’d prefer to go 55” but don’t the the room and as I’m maybe 8ft away, 50” is really big enough.
Anyhow this is a thread hijack so I’ll leave it there

I like plug and play, I can’t really be bothered with lots of adjustments! Don’t want to be fussing! Life’s too short :D
Motion is important for football though
I view head on. I’d prefer to go 55” but don’t the the room and as I’m maybe 8ft away, 50” is really big enough.
Anyhow this is a thread hijack so I’ll leave it there
?? this took me about 40 minutes to get something far better than out of the box. (Which was pretty good anyway) just 2 variables.
Sony motion handling is rated the best. However footy is better live on Sky Sports HD via VM cable than BBC1 HD MOD but suspect SkyQ will be at least as good as of course thats where the coverage originates.
Did not realise this was a hi-jack. Why not start your own thread? You look like an old hand like me and would be pleased to continue discussion otherwise please PM if required.

?? this took me about 40 minutes to get something far better than out of the box. (Which was pretty good anyway) just 2 variables.
Sony motion handling is rated the best. However footy is better live on Sky Sports HD via VM cable than BBC1 HD MOD but suspect SkyQ will be at least as good as of course thats where the coverage originates.
Did not realise this was a hi-jack. Why not start your own thread? You look like an old hand like me and would be pleased to continue discussion otherwise please PM if required.
I could be tempted with the free sound bar

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom