Advice on a media player needed

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by blokeyknockers, Feb 5, 2014.

1. blokeyknockers

blokeyknockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hey guys, I currently have my all of my music and some films on my pc, which is connected to my tv via HDMI. I've then got the tv connected to an Arcam Rlink DAC via TOS link and then into my Marantz PM6004. Recently there have been a lot of clicks and pops coming through the speakers intermittently and i think i've narrowed it down to the optical out on the tv. I'm interested in getting a media player that will allow me to cut out the tv from the chain so as to avoid the horrible clicks! I was looking at the WD TV live as I believe that's the sort of thing i need but i would still need to have the tv on to see what files i'm selecting. However, ideally what i'd like is a player that has it's own display so that i can access music without having to turn on the tv to sift through the tracks. I'm not really sure what to search for so was wondering if anyone has any ideas. Cheers, Matt

2. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi

You have a variety of streamers to choose from.
    Denon, Sonos, Simply Audio, Cambridge Audio, Pioneer, Naim, Linn etc all do streamers with displays, but prices vary from £100's to £k's. Since you have the PM6004 amp, i think its safe to remove Naim an Linn from the list, but without a budget anything can be suggested. So what's the budget?

Or alternatively, since you already have a streamer (PC), you could try a USB DAC like a Behringer uca2xx. Cost around £25-£30.H

This may solve the music issues as the TV is removed from the music chain, but if the clicking is due to the TV's optical audio output, I would of thought it still be there when watching films. Assuming you watch films with sound via the pm6004. If it doesn't happens during films then the cause could be elsewhere.

Have you tried replacing the optical cable?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. blokeyknockers

blokeyknockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I've tried 3 separate leads and all seem to do it. I'm currently trying the analogue output on the tv straight in the Marantz and so far no clicks at all so pretty certain its the optical.

I did think about a usb dac but the other thing i'd like to be able to do is move the media player from the bedroom to the living room to play from either system. It would also mean not having the noisy PC running in the background all of the time!

Budget wise i'd rather not spend more than say £200 as we've just had our first baby and things are tight. If I can't get anything with a display for that then that's fine as I don't mind using the tv in either room to search through songs, as long as it has an optical out to make use of my Arcam DAC.

Someone was selling a dune (I think) player on here a while ago and that looked perfect as it had a removable hard disk and optical out. However, my complete lack of knowledge about this stuff stopped me from making an offer at the time.

Thanks again for the help!

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Only option I can think of that meets both requirements is a 2nd hand Squeezebox Touch, that's music only of course.

The media streamer forum - Streamers & Network Media Players | AVForums - has loads on streamers which will do video.

5. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    The mainstream network audio players/streamers mentioned don't normally come with storage drive facilities for music files. These are kept on a networked computer or a NAS and in the case of UPnP/DLNA streamers require a UPnP/DLNA server running on that networked storage device to manage the music library. So you won't really be able to do without the PC, unless you get another network device for file storage.

Having said that, some of these streamers have a USB storage device input. However, this input doesn't normally use a media server to organise the music files available to it and seaching is thus limited to physical drive file/folder explorer type navigating (so no folder organising by music file metadata tags, such as album, artist, genre, etc).

6. blokeyknockers

blokeyknockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    How about something like the popcorn hour a-400? All of my music and films are well organised so as long as I can just flick through some basic menu I'd be happy. I believe the popcorn also has an app which would allow control directly from from iPad or android phone?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Any Dune player should do all you want - even one without a display. To control it you can use any Android device with DMC - Dune Media Controller - Android Apps on Google Play
    Setup cover art on a PC with the likes of Zappiti for movies and Dune Music Manager for music and there will be no need for the TV to control the player.

Mark.