Answered Advice on a good 48/49'' TV mid budget

Williver

Standard Member
Reaction score
Morning and Happy New Year.

I need to buy a new TV quick smart as my old (8 years old) Samsung has decided to give up the ghost. It only plays sound and with no picture.... It may eventually come on after repeated turning it off and on again but this can sometimes tkae hours :-(. Because this is out of the blue and unplanned the budget is hampered. Top end would be £700, maybe £750. Will get away with up to 49'' in size. Will be used with Sky Q (being installed week after next) but no gaming. The kids have a separate TV for that.

Admittedly not the most challenging or dynamic question but could I call upon the groups collective expertise to get some pointers on a reasonably future proofed TV at this budget....

Many thanks in advance for any input and advice received.

Cheers

Rather than another post, I am in the same situation and have £700 to spend and was looking at 49/50. Viewing mainly hd/sd hoping to add 4k to the mix, 8 to 10 feet viewing distances normally. Replacing a pana 37lzd80 which is going to my bedroom.

Need optical out and all UK catchup services. Not bothered about 3d, HDR would be nice

The KS7000 seems to be the main one recommened in this bracket in here but slightly out of my price range.

Which out of the rest of these offer the best pic quality

Panasonic 50dx70b
LGUH770V
LGUH850V - 3d
LGUH650V (Hard to tell the main difference on these looking at Currys, I like the remote and how it can control other devices)
Samsung 49 KU6470

Or would 55 inch be better?

Last edited:
You can't get a TV that's decent with HDR below the KS7000 really. Other TVs don't get bright enough or have good enough local dimming. In fact you need to aim even higher if you want all the catch up apps because the 2016 Samsung's don't have them all either.

Out of all the cheaper alternatives the Panasonic has the best PQ and all catch up apps.

Also everyone seems to be jumping on the UHD bandwagon but you should really make sure you sit close enough, at least to see an improvement vs FHD.
TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science

Are there any Sonys worth considering, I notice they had all the catchup stuff via youview.

Hi Dodgexander and Angelo M. Many thanks for the input and guidance. I have just returned home having procured the KS7000. Bought it at Richer Sounds and saw it on display and looked awesome. Quick query you may not be able to help with but there is no harm asking the question. I am going to wall mount and am using the kit from my previous TV. All fits except the bolts need to be thicker for the new TV. I will procure these tomorrow. In the meantime I was going to put the feet on the tv to get it set up and use it for this evening. However the thought occurred to me that if I put the feet in now am I able to release and remove them in order to wall mount tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be anything in the manual on this. Would you happen to know?

Cheers

Are there any Sonys worth considering, I notice they had all the catchup stuff via youview.

Not at this size. They all use IPS panels with worse contrast.

Hi Dodgexander and Angelo M. Many thanks for the input and guidance. I have just returned home having procured the KS7000. Bought it at Richer Sounds and saw it on display and looked awesome. Quick query you may not be able to help with but there is no harm asking the question. I am going to wall mount and am using the kit from my previous TV. All fits except the bolts need to be thicker for the new TV. I will procure these tomorrow. In the meantime I was going to put the feet on the tv to get it set up and use it for this evening. However the thought occurred to me that if I put the feet in now am I able to release and remove them in order to wall mount tomorrow. Doesn't seem to be anything in the manual on this. Would you happen to know?

Cheers

Congrats and I hope you enjoy your new TV! The won't be a problem as the feet just click on. There's no permanent attachment.

When you say the feet click on they go up into the bottom of the TV. I assume a mechanism will lock but can't see a release to get them out again. Is my assumption wrong and you can simply pull them out when wall mounting?

Cheers

How does the Hisense 55M7000 pic qual compare to the tvs I mentioned earlier, bigger but in price range, the only worry is will sd content look much worse on the bigger screen?

Well its a best buy TV so for the money its PQ is superb. You can't compare it to TVs that are more expensive though. You will likely get a smaller TV which is in your budget that is better PQ but you negate the purpose of having an UHD TV if you can't see the extra pixels.

SD will look worse than a FHD on every UHD, the bigger and closer the sit you more you notice it. Catch 22 if you want SD to look good on a UHD and also want to notice an increase in quality on an UHD TV, thats why many people still buy FHD.

TVs like the Samsung J6300, J6240/J6250 and Sony w8xxc/w7xxc series from 2015. Sony have announced some FHD HDR TV's to be released this year also which is great news but we may not see them until September, not sure.

I looked at a 55 j6240 at lunch and noticed what I think is horrific judder on 5 HD as someone moved their head across the screen, I could see four of their heads at once.

There shouldn't be any judder at all with the Samsung J6240/J6300 as they use 100hz panels. If it was a film or tv series shown on 5 that was originally shot at 24fps then there will be judder caused by 3:2 pulldown but that is apparent with most LCDs.

Apart from that all I can think is the motion settings were set badly or the source device was at fault.

It may also be that you are very sensitive to judder and that a 24/25fps framerate just isn't smooth to you.

Last Q hopefully, where does the sony XD80 sit amongst what has been mentioned so far, I think it should have a good va screen by all accounts, also wondering if I can stretch to the pana 750b, not convinced yet on the ks7000.

Last Q hopefully, where does the sony XD80 sit amongst what has been mentioned so far, I think it should have a good va screen by all accounts, also wondering if I can stretch to the pana 750b, not convinced yet on the ks7000.

At 49" the XD80 uses an IPS panel so will have inferior contrast to the J6240. Its overpriced because of its use of a poor IPS panel IMO.

There is also the Panasonic DX-700 if you can't afford the DX-750. Although it is in a different class to the DX-750 and again the KS7000.

Saw a customer review, sadly returning the curved 43KS7500. When reconnected Netflix to older FHD TV, image was fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom