Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a
-65" KS9000
-Denon x3300W amp
-dali Zensor 5 speakers
-2 front height onyko speakers
-Nvidia shield

I have everything (incl sky) running into the amplifier and the amp sending output to HDMI one on the one connect box. It all seems to work fine. I have a personal colleciton of about 60 blurays I have ripped (1:1) and use on Plex which I am using on the shield. All the content is 1080p as I do not have an appetite for 4k at present given its currently still in its infancy.

I am telling plex to switch framerate so it displays at 24p when the movie starts but the resolution on the shield is still 4k. (so 4k/24p)

My questions is:
when selecting colour space on the shield, would *YCbCr 4:2:0 8-bit Rec.709* be the right choice as that's the input i am feeding it and let the TV resample it to 4:4:4 on its own

Or

Should I select *YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit Rec.2020* ?

I know dynamic range should be on *limited* on both the TV and the Shield (I find the colours a bit washed out though)

Thanks!

I don't think anything uses 12-bit ?

If you wanted to see if there is a difference in image quality I would try following
* Get Kodi and install the various Plex plugins or get MrMC from the app store, it's now available for the Shield, it's a fork of Kodi with built in Plex. It auto decodes everything internally on the Shield, no transcoding, the app itself is by former XBMC devs.

* MrMC being descended from Kodi/XBMC is always geared towards RGB full range 0-255 so change the Shield display output to that.

The limited range 16-235 conversion built into Kodi was always not very good and is best avoided.

0-255 RGB full range is meant to be equivalent to YCbCr444 at least that's my understanding from what I've read, I'm not an expert. Some TV's may require PC mode or PC label being applied to the input, I only ever heard that about Samsung.

Most TV's these days have an auto HDMI black level that controls the TV side of limited or full range, I would assume your Sony has it too, double check that it's set to auto no need to manually set it to full range.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom