Advice on a centre and rears to go with Monitor Audio BX2 fronts

bullencraig

Standard Member
Hi

My current setup consists of a pair of Monitor Audio BX2 speakers sat on Atacama stands which are connected to an old (bought in 2001) Yamaha 5.1 AV amplifier.
For music it is great but recently we have connected it to my other halfs Samsung TU8500 TV and have been using it to watch films and run the XBox Series S through it.
It feels as though it is lacking with speech in films etc.
I am currently looking at either trying to find a 2nd hand Monitor Audio BX Centre to add to the system and then either some 2nd hand Monitor Audio BX1's for rear speakers or maybe even another set of BX2's. Either of these would be stand mounted.
Would another set of BX2's as rears be too big?
I had considered a pair of BXFX for the rear but the sofa is against the wall on an alcove so halve of them would be pointed at a wall.
Next question would be whether the newer Bronze speakers would work with my current BX2's?
Ive attached a (not quite to scale) floor plan of the living room these speakers are going in. Its around 24ft long and 15ft wide at the widest point.
The TV is on a oak TV stand which has a shelf for the centre speaker.
The BX2's are on the Atacama stands, left is to one side of the fireplace and the right is in the other corner of the room.
As for a subwoofer, Im looking at getting either a BK Geminii or a XLS200-FF at a later date.
I will also be upgrading the amplifier later on in the year.

So a quick summary would be:
  • Will newer Bronze series Monitor Audio speakers match my current BX2's?
  • Should I be looking for some BX1 (or equivalent) for the rears or maybe another pair of BX2's?

Craig

Attachments

• bf045c57-8766-4197-af12-03a24ba3320f.png
    bf045c57-8766-4197-af12-03a24ba3320f.png
    84 KB · Views: 24

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
At least the one earlier range Bronze worked great with the BX Bronzes. Don´t know how different the latest sounds. Notice if you keep the speakers without front masks it will look bit different. But otherwise these two would work fine:

I think most people would want the FX speakers as the couch is so close to speakers that they would become so directional. If you can leave 1feet to side wall minium then go for the FX speakers, these can be any Generation you find.

img_0923-jpg.913441

Save up for larger sub! Gemini or XLS200 are too small for that room. P12-300SB as a minium!

bullencraig

Standard Member
At least the one earlier range Bronze worked great with the BX Bronzes. Don´t know how different the latest sounds. Notice if you keep the speakers without front masks it will look bit different. But otherwise these two would work fine:

I think most people would want the FX speakers as the couch is so close to speakers that they would become so directional. If you can leave 1feet to side wall minium then go for the FX speakers, these can be any Generation you find.

img_0923-jpg.913441

Save up for larger sub! Gemini or XLS200 are too small for that room. P12-300SB as a minium!

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Do the BXFX have to be wall mounted or can they go on stands? Not sure I can fit them to the rear wall.

Regards the subwoofer, a friend has a BK Monolith which sounds awesome and ive seen some of them 2nd hand for a decent price.

How would that BK P12300 stack up against a 2nd hand Monolith?

Although we live in a terraced house so maybe a Monolith may be abit much lol

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Do the BXFX have to be wall mounted or can they go on stands? Not sure I can fit them to the rear wall.

Regards the subwoofer, a friend has a BK Monolith which sounds awesome and ive seen some of them 2nd hand for a decent price.

How would that BK P12300 stack up against a 2nd hand Monolith?

Although we live in a terraced house so maybe a Monolith may be abit much lol

Not really cause the stands would be too close to corner where they shouldn´t go. If it doesn´t work out then just get a pair of BX1 or Radius 90. Those two can be wall mounted with MASM (Monitor Audio) wall brackets too which i would opt and mount them high up at least 2feet higher from seated ear heights cause they are so close to listeners. This would work for 5.1, not ideal for Atmos.

Monolith is more capable and yeah quite ideal in that type room, but i saw you have quite tight space there with even the front left speaker not so optimally placed. The placement is quite critical and can make dramatic difference so we would need to check which placement of those possible would be best. If you take tape measure from your right wall to where you sit, where your head is how much is that distance? Also take tape measure from left wall to sub position1, what is that distance? Imagine you would take it from wall to middle of the subwoofers driver. It´s about 40cm wide box typically.

bullencraig

Standard Member
Not really cause the stands would be too close to corner where they shouldn´t go. If it doesn´t work out then just get a pair of BX1 or Radius 90. Those two can be wall mounted with MASM (Monitor Audio) wall brackets too which i would opt and mount them high up at least 2feet higher from seated ear heights cause they are so close to listeners. This would work for 5.1, not ideal for Atmos.

Monolith is more capable and yeah quite ideal in that type room, but i saw you have quite tight space there with even the front left speaker not so optimally placed. The placement is quite critical and can make dramatic difference so we would need to check which placement of those possible would be best. If you take tape measure from your right wall to where you sit, where your head is how much is that distance? Also take tape measure from left wall to sub position1, what is that distance? Imagine you would take it from wall to middle of the subwoofers driver. It´s about 40cm wide box typically.
Hi

Its 2.6M from right wall to where I sit.
1.4M from left door wall to middle of sub placement option 1.
2.0M from left window wall to middle of sub placement option 1.

Craig

bullencraig

Standard Member
I have since acquired a Monitor Audio Bronze C150 centre speaker that works well with the BX2 speakers as fronts.
Next on the list are the rears.
Ive been finding it hard to find a pair of BX1's so have been looking at the Radius 90's.
Will these match the BX2's well for rear surrounds?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have since acquired a Monitor Audio Bronze C150 centre speaker that works well with the BX2 speakers as fronts.
Next on the list are the rears.
Ive been finding it hard to find a pair of BX1's so have been looking at the Radius 90's.
Will these match the BX2's well for rear surrounds?

Yes Radius will work with Bronzes and Silvers nicely what members have reported here for years! They aren`t cheap though and there is three different generations. First came around 2005 or close. Radius, Radius HD and the latest from 2013 or so with silver C-CAM mid-bass drivers. They really are small when you see them, no suprise why people opt for them. Very wife friendly i can imagine. The new one can be mounted with the MASM bracket. For 5.1 and couch close to rear wall you should mount them lot higher to get some distance, then you can aim them as needed.

bullencraig

Standard Member
Yes Radius will work with Bronzes and Silvers nicely what members have reported here for years! They aren`t cheap though and there is three different generations. First came around 2005 or close. Radius, Radius HD and the latest from 2013 or so with silver C-CAM mid-bass drivers. They really are small when you see them, no suprise why people opt for them. Very wife friendly i can imagine. The new one can be mounted with the MASM bracket. For 5.1 and couch close to rear wall you should mount them lot higher to get some distance, then you can aim them as needed.

Thanks Gasp 3621.
One last thing are the Radius 45's worth using as rears? I keep seeing these popping up too.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thanks Gasp 3621.
One last thing are the Radius 45's worth using as rears? I keep seeing these popping up too.
The feedback seems to be quite mixed. They have rear firing tweeters so it will be important to place them so the sound will bounce to listeners. The idea is to have less directional effects which is nice, but they are very small so you can´t ask too much from them. My money would be on the Radius 90 or Bronze 1 which i have used as effect channels. If you felt the new C150 works great with your BX2s then no reason why the B1s wouldn´t work fine too. There is walnut FX speakers too, but likely wrong finish.

bullencraig

Standard Member
Hi, update. I won a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1's that come with the wall mounts from eBay.
Ill let know what they sound like when the arrive :)

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom