Advice on a budget subwoofer for music

AsaC

Standard Member
Hello,

I'm looking for advice to help me choose an affordable powered subwoofer for me music listening set-up. I am strictly concerned with sound quality for music listening as I don't even have the TV connected to my sound system. I listen to a mix of electric and acoustic jazz, blues, R&B, world music, and folk.

My current set-up is a Emotiva TA-100 DAC/pre-amp/receiver connected to my computer, a turntable, and two older KRK Rokit 6 powered studio monitors. The Emotiva has a power amp in it but I am not currently using it due to having the powered KRKs. The KRKs are rated as having a frequency response from 38 hz to 35 kHz with the with the output level dipping around 60 hz. I have been using them for a couple years now and find myself wanting a little more bass.

My space is a concrete condo building living room that is about 20x16 feet. The unit seems pretty sound proof but neighbors have to be considered a little.

I am hoping to spend as little as possible, or hopefully less than $300 usd.

Here is what I have been considering:
- BIC America RTR-EV1200 475-Watt RTR Eviction Series 12" Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer (about $250 with shipping)
- Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer (about $130 on Amazon). There are a few other Polk subs in this price range as well I would consider.
- BIC America F12 12-Inch (about $260 with shipping)
- Elac SUB1010 120 Watt 10" Powered Subwoofer ($100 right now on Amazon with shipping)
- Monoprice 9723 Powered Subwoofer (only $100 but over close to $300 with shipping)
- Klipsch also has a few options
available in this price range

Any advice on these or other options I should consider? One consideration is that I live in Hawaii and many sellers either don't offer shipping here or charge so much it ruins the deal. Is it worth spending more on a sub or would something like this do the trick? I don't need super loud, just want strong, clear bass for music.

AsaC

Standard Member
Also just found out Crutchfield ships free to Hawaii. They have a few interesting options.
- KLH Windsor 10 (on sale for $249)
- KLH Windsor 12 ($299)
- Audioengine S8 ($349)
- Polk Audio PSW125 ($299)
- Klipsch R-100SW ($299)
- Kanto SUB8 ($289)
- Yamaha YST-FSW150 ($249)
- Polk Audio HTS 10 ($349)
- Cambridge Audio Minx X201 ($349)

Some of those push my price range a bit but I could do it if the sound is worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom