Advice on a budget subwoofer for music

AsaC

Standard Member
Hello,

I'm looking for advice to help me choose an affordable powered subwoofer for me music listening set-up. I am strictly concerned with sound quality for music listening as I don't even have the TV connected to my sound system. I listen to a mix of electric and acoustic jazz, blues, R&B, world music, and folk.

My current set-up is a Emotiva TA-100 DAC/pre-amp/receiver connected to my computer, a turntable, and two older KRK Rokit 6 powered studio monitors. The Emotiva has a power amp in it but I am not currently using it due to having the powered KRKs. The KRKs are rated as having a frequency response from 38 hz to 35 kHz with the with the output level dipping around 60 hz. I have been using them for a couple years now and find myself wanting a little more bass.

My space is a concrete condo building living room that is about 20x16 feet. The unit seems pretty sound proof but neighbors have to be considered a little.

I am hoping to spend as little as possible, or hopefully less than $300 usd.

Here is what I have been considering:
- BIC America RTR-EV1200 475-Watt RTR Eviction Series 12" Front-Firing Powered Subwoofer (about $250 with shipping)
- Polk Audio PSW10 10" Powered Subwoofer (about $130 on Amazon). There are a few other Polk subs in this price range as well I would consider.
- BIC America F12 12-Inch (about $260 with shipping)
- Elac SUB1010 120 Watt 10" Powered Subwoofer ($100 right now on Amazon with shipping)
- Monoprice 9723 Powered Subwoofer (only $100 but over close to $300 with shipping)
- Klipsch also has a few options
available in this price range

Any advice on these or other options I should consider? One consideration is that I live in Hawaii and many sellers either don't offer shipping here or charge so much it ruins the deal. Is it worth spending more on a sub or would something like this do the trick? I don't need super loud, just want strong, clear bass for music.

AsaC

Standard Member
Also just found out Crutchfield ships free to Hawaii. They have a few interesting options.
- KLH Windsor 10 (on sale for $249)
- KLH Windsor 12 ($299)
- Audioengine S8 ($349)
- Polk Audio PSW125 ($299)
- Klipsch R-100SW ($299)
- Kanto SUB8 ($289)
- Yamaha YST-FSW150 ($249)
- Polk Audio HTS 10 ($349)
- Cambridge Audio Minx X201 ($349)

Some of those push my price range a bit but I could do it if the sound is worth it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom