Advice on a 2.1 solution

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by onkeh, May 2, 2007.

1. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I've just got a nice new panel and a PS3, and I'm sick of TV speakers! Unfortunately my sitting room is a horrible shape and there's really no room for speakers to the side/behind the sofa, so I guess I can only have 2 speakers and a subwoofer.

What would you recommend for the next best thing? I understand Bose and Wharfedale do a single surround emulation speaker that sits at the front which sounds ideal but probably quite expensive!

I would be connecting a PS3 and an upscaling DVD player via HDMI to the amp (though optical is also an option). Any recommendations would be very helpful!

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    there are two Yamaha sound projectors, they are single bar units, a cheaper model and a more expensive model, although not prohibitive in either case, they work by being quite wide (probably the width of the average TV) and have very many small drivers facing in different directions that bounce/reflect sound off the walls to create a surround atmosphere......

as with any front speaker assembly that claims surround sound, you rarely get much of a behind you ambience, more to the sides.....but the Yamahas are fairly well received....

from what i remember its worth adding a subwoofer though....

try getting to a dealer who stocks them (check the Yamaha website for the model names) and have a listen....i havnt heard them myself, but a few folks who have been on here quite liked them....

as for a subwoofer to go with them, if you want small and compact and the budget stretches, check out the Subwoofer Powerbuy section on here for the SVS SB12+, alternatively a BK XLS200, REL Strata 5, plus a few other choices, visit the sub section for more info :)

3. sk8

sk8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    kef kit 100 is a pretty good 2.1 solution IMHO

4. onkeh

onkeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I looked into the Kef kit 100 but it only has one optical in and I don't really need a DVD player so I've had to rule it out. The Yamaha looks very promising though, thanks for that. Any more suggestions from anymore?