Advice on 65inch TV - Black Friday Deal

@mjbarnard you're right, because of your post I checked my order history, and it was bax music I purchased the headphones from, not box. Sorry, and please don't listen to my prior comments on box.co.uk.

Though as I've said before, I don't claim to be right about everything, and I'm happy to be proven wrong. I'm not afraid of any criticism and if there's something I can do to improve what I do in the future please let me know. Like anyone, even professionals you can be wrong, and often will be wrong..but it's about recognizing from those mistakes and learning from them that makes the difference.

The guides, and my advice are just there to help out people, I don't think it's actually plausible to review every TV possible. If I had the money, I would. But even here at AVF its sometimes a struggle to fit in so many reviews, and even to get companies to supply samples, let alone paying for them!

So indeed, you should look at my advice as just another forum user, nothing special there...but at least there's no motive behind what I recommend and no reason for me to make money from affiliate links. That's something you can't really say about other review sites, some of which have frankly lost the plot when it comes to recommending TVs in my opinion.

Once you study the the TV market for some time you realise how much manufacturers trick your average consumer...and I'd like to think at least I've helped the small amount of people who have read my advice or guides with not falling for the miss-selling. I don't really think any user has been as vocal, or as critical to TV manufacturers as I have. As far as reviewers go, I do like the work flatpanelshd.com do though, especially their remarks on cheaper TVs and HDR performance.

Either way, reading TV reviews, watching TV reviews and reading owners feedback still deserves some credit, a lot of differences between one TV and another is actually very easy to see when you study the market for so long. And having an understanding of the market lets you read between the lines very easily.
I may not have direct experience reviewing each TV but I'm wise enough to know what manufacturers do with pricing, model numbering schemes and even the dirty panel tricks they try to pull on people to know which TVs are good, and which are bad...and you'll see from year to year that all manufacturers make good and bad units.

Anyway, sorry again for mixing up bax music and box, and thank you for your work as an intensive care Doctor. Critical and important work that must take a special kind of person to do. I am sure COVID has only made your job harder right now, so please keep up the good work and give yourself a pat on the back.

Sony X89J is just a mid range TV, next to no HDR hardware. Its not in the same class as the others and even uses an IPS panel.

That's because your TV doesn't support Dolby Atmos being sent in a Dolby Digital Plus container. It's got nothing to do with ARC. Likely the TV can support it, but the apps or smart system built into the TV can't. Any TV you buy now with vanilla ARC will work with Atmos. I just thought I'd mention it so it's one less thing you have to think about.

The Sony X89J uses a VA panel, not an IPS panel. Ive also spent a lot of time comparing the X89J to the X90J and the A80J OLED. While the OLED is noticeably better it’s not as much as I would to have thought plus you have the concern of screen burn. Also, the difference between the X89 and X90, a higher level TV, is almost indistinguishable in normal viewing, however the X90j has horrid flickering which, although not directly noticeable I’m sure has an effect on cumulative eye strain. Watching the X90j back in slow motion is quite shocking…although some Samsungs are even worse.

I bought a laptop from Box, no issues or complaints. It had to go back due to a fault and all was handled efficiently

The Sony X89J uses a VA panel, not an IPS panel. Ive also spent a lot of time comparing the X89J to the X90J and the A80J OLED. While the OLED is noticeably better it’s not as much as I would to have thought plus you have the concern of screen burn. Also, the difference between the X89 and X90, a higher level TV, is almost indistinguishable in normal viewing, however the X90j has horrid flickering which, although not directly noticeable I’m sure has an effect on cumulative eye strain. Watching the X90j back in slow motion is quite shocking…although some Samsungs are even worse.
I guess it depends on what you class as normal viewing. If it includes any HDR material then definitely not, although the X90J itself is already pretty poor in this area anyway.
I will still stick to my original point - that it depends on person to person whether PWM flicker bothers you or not, most people aren't bothered by it at all, including me. So, people definitely shouldn't be bothered by it all with the X90J unless they are particularly sensitive to it as it flickers at a very high frequency.

Perhaps your demo was set up wrong, and some form of BFI was being used to make the flicker worse. These are optional motion features on the TVs you can control independently.

Hi, Am I right in assuming that the 50” version of the x89ju is in fact using a VA panel?

ive got a 43 89j and i love it.
I also have a Samsung q80t and a LG OLED
If you want my monies worth try and get an OLED if not that sony is pretty damn nice.
I just bought the 50x89j for £400 as an opened box on a well known site! I just hope it uses a va panel!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom