Advice on 65inch TV - Black Friday Deal

Not only that but as mentioned this same TV in the US doesn't always use VA panels so how do they explain that too, I wouldn't put too much faith in that retailer

That being said have decided im gonna try to get this TV on Black Friday hoping for a decent deal

Speaking of I found this but I have never heard of the site and the deal seems a little too good compared to the usual John Lewis/Currys/Richer sounds

Anyone any experience of this site: Samsung 2021 65" Q80A QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV, | Box.co.uk
Since i am not in UK but one youtuber always promote box.co.uk. Check this out

Confusion is still there whether Samsung Q80a 65 inch have ADS panel or VA panel.

Confusion is still there whether Samsung Q80a 65 inch have ADS panel or VA panel.
In Europe its always VA, in the Americas it can be IPS or VA.

Dodge do you have any opinions or thoughts on box.co.uk a bit apprehensive ordering from a site I have never heard of before?
I used them once for a pair of bluetooth headphones and never used them again after they ignored my emails when requesting a return.

They are a Dutch outfit, ship to the UK from mainland Europe, so TVs there may also not be specific to the UK and can have tuner differences.

Please ignore the above, I got mixed up with bax music, not box.co.uk.

Last edited:
Not only that but as mentioned this same TV in the US doesn't always use VA panels so how do they explain that too, I wouldn't put too much faith in that retailer

That being said have decided im gonna try to get this TV on Black Friday hoping for a decent deal

Speaking of I found this but I have never heard of the site and the deal seems a little too good compared to the usual John Lewis/Currys/Richer sounds

Anyone any experience of this site: Samsung 2021 65" Q80A QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV, | Box.co.uk
This is what their site says.

Website says they are in Sweden. Although their contact us details suggest they are in Birmingham
Also Google for other reviews.
Clearly if you do use them, only ever buy using a credit card to get the fraud etc. protection

How long is the warranty, RS, JL and possibly Currys increase the warranty from 1 year standard to 5/6 years

I used them once for a pair of bluetooth headphones and never used them again after they ignored my emails when requesting a return.

They are a Dutch outfit, ship to the UK from mainland Europe, so TVs there may also not be specific to the UK and can have tuner differences.
Thanks, think I will stay away from them, noticed that John Lewis now have the 65" Q80A for £999 do you think thats a decent price for it?

Thanks, think I will stay away from them, noticed that John Lewis now have the 65" Q80A for £999 do you think thats a decent price for it?
Sounds ok and if the price comes down for Black Friday, you can apply for a retrospective price match from JL.
If you prefer to buy from RS, they should price beat JL

Yes, for this time of year. Not unusual with better deals later to see TVs the next tier up for that price, perhaps a bit more though. Nonetheless, you can't complain for this time of year.

Any suggestions for 65 inch q80a and ku6400 40 inch wall mount bracket?
Just match the VESA hole spacing on the back of the TV with the one you want. All do a job.

Thought I'd post in this thread rather than starting a new one...

Is the Panasonic TX65HZ980 a decent buy at £1299, with 5 year warranty?

Any major negative points as its an older model?

My viewing is mostly Disney+, Netflix and Amazon streaming services, very little sport and no gaming, coming from Pioneer Kuro.

Thanks

Thought I'd post in this thread rather than starting a new one...

Is the Panasonic TX65HZ980 a decent buy at £1299, with 5 year warranty?

Any major negative points as its an older model?

My viewing is mostly Disney+, Netflix and Amazon streaming services, very little sport and no gaming, coming from Pioneer Kuro.

Thanks
Not really any negative points. Philips OLED706 also available for the same price but without the extended warranty...but perhaps the Philips is more buggy than the Panasonic, at least at the moment.

Buying a year behind isn't a bad thing, not just because of price, but because newer models still have bugs too.

Not really any negative points. Philips OLED706 also available for the same price but without the extended warranty...but perhaps the Philips is more buggy than the Panasonic, at least at the moment.

Buying a year behind isn't a bad thing, not just because of price, but because newer models still have bugs too.

Thanks for your reply.

Is OLED still the best option or are there decent LED alternatives now? In terms of being comparable to plasma screens?

Also, would something like the Philips 806 be worth the extra £400, bit out of my price range really.

They offer different things that mean more or less to different people. There's no one best, but much the same as back in the Plasma era people choose OLED over LCD TVs for the similar reasons.

The 806 is definitely not worth 400 over the 706. But the 706 is priced very good at the moment, so the 806 should get reduced more in the future.

Further to my recent question... I've noticed the HZ980 has more basic motion control than the HZ1000, how does the Philips 706 compare motion wise?

Thanks

Everyday is Black Friday , they just put the price and cancel less the amount lol.

Further to my recent question... I've noticed the HZ980 has more basic motion control than the HZ1000, how does the Philips 706 compare motion wise?

Thanks
They both have the same picture processor so are identical with motion unlike the Panasonic models.

They both have the same picture processor so are identical with motion unlike the Panasonic models.

Thanks, although I can't find the Philips in stock anywhere now with 5yr warranty.

Plus, I'm now thinking that 65" is too big anyway.

:facepalm:

Plus, I'm now thinking that 65" is too big anyway.
Why? Most people don't view close enough to a 55" to benefit from the extra detail of UHD.
image.php

Why? Most people don't view close enough to a 55" to benefit from the extra detail of UHD.
image.php

Stop asking sensible questions... 😄

Just think it would look out of place really... Guess I'd get used to it quite quickly.

So which 65" OLED would you buy, around £1500... 🤔 Better to wait until the new year?

Check OLED Price Changes

There's lots of tips there, including getting the C1 for 1500. 1500 for any OLED would be a good deal, but it's even better if you can get the mid range ones rather than the very cheapest.

I have purchased from Box many times. They also operate as Laptops Direct and other Direct websites so most of my purchases have been computers. They do not ship to the UK from mainland Europe, their UK products are shipped within the UK.
As attached I purchased a NAS from them on Friday 3 December 2021 in the afternoon and it was successfully delivered on Saturday 4 December 2021 morning. I very much doubt it came from the Netherlands overnight.
Dodgy Dodge by his own admission does not purchase or personally test any of the televisions for which he gives advice. His advice is hugely useful and very well informed but he is an internet geek who soaks up the information from other sources and then spends an incredible amount of time and effort regurgitating that information for the benefit of all of us. His opinions are sound, and we all find them very useful and I think we are all very grateful. But also at times he is not so accurate. Everyone takes his word as gospel, I would advise a certain amount of caution. I would not buy a television on his recommendation alone. His Box description is an exemplar.
I have found the owners and other threads infinitely much more useful, although obviously much harder work.
Obviously Dodge's experiences with his earphones was different. I have purchased thousand pounds of equipment via Box (I think more than 15k) and not experienced any difficulties.
If Dodge had done even a basic search on avforums he would have discovered that many people have purchased from Box and had good and reliable service. eg (but there are others): Box.co.uk- safe to buy from here?
I have no connection with Box, I am a simple intensive care doctor. My comments are more directed at Dodge's advice rather than whether Box is reputable.

Attachments

• Great news, your parcel has been delivered_Redacted.pdf
    134.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Your BOX Order is being Dispatched Our Ref_{G57X4LP8M9}_Please do not delete_Redacted.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I have purchased from Box many times. They also operate as Laptops Direct and other Direct websites so most of my purchases have been computers. They do not ship to the UK from mainland Europe, their UK products are shipped within the UK.
As attached I purchased a NAS from them on Friday 3 December 2021 in the afternoon and it was successfully delivered on Saturday 4 December 2021 morning. I very much doubt it came from the Netherlands overnight.
Dodgy Dodge by his own admission does not purchase or personally test any of the televisions for which he gives advice. His advice is hugely useful and very well informed but he is an internet monkey who soaks up the information from other sources and then spends an incredible amount of time and effort regurgitating that information for the benefit of all of us. His opinions are sound, and we all find them very useful and I think we are all very grateful. But also at times he is not so accurate. Everyone takes his word as gospel, I would advise a certain amount of caution. I would not buy a television on his recommendation alone. His Box description is an exemplar.
I have found the owners and other threads infinitely much more useful, although obviously much harder work.
Obviously Dodge's experiences with his earphones was different. I have purchased thousand pounds of equipment via Box (I think more than 15k) and not experienced any difficulties.
If Dodge had done even a basic search on avforums he would have discovered that many people have purchased from Box and had good and reliable service. eg (but there are others): Box.co.uk- safe to buy from here?
I have no connection with Box, I am a simple intensive care doctor. My comments are more directed at Dodge's advice rather than whether Box is reputable.
Dodge provides valuable advice plus insights, and this is of course based on his experience. I haven’t bought from Box before but my research into them means I won’t buy from them: that’s my choice.

He puts a lot of his time for free into this forum, and for you to label him as an internet monkey is just disrespectful.

If your experience of Box is that good, then tell people about it: but your glowing experience of them doesn’t mean Dodge’s is any less valid.

If you don’t like his advice, then don’t listen to it.

Apologies if I used the wrong term. I looked it up and meant it as a compliment as someone who is very savvy with internet research. I will re-edit it.

On the contrary I do listen to his advice. On that basis I have two sony xh65's, and A90J. Most recently a philips oled. I have not purchased any televisions from Box so cant tell people about that. I suspect the readership is sufficiently sophisticated to make their own judgements, given some inaccuracies in his report.

Not a question of liking or listening to his advice. Did you read my comments that his opinions are sound, and that we find them very useful and are grateful? I am just giving the heads up to the less experienced that his advice can be flawed or misinformed. Putting a lot of time into the forum is very much appreciated, including by me. It is not the same however as being correct or accurate.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom