Advice on 65inch TV - Black Friday Deal

rishis

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first thread on this forum and I am hoping I will get some advice or recommendations.
I am based in Ireland and looking to get a 65 inch TV, my budget is 1300-1400 EURO. I normally watch Netflix, Prime and rarely games. Main requirement is good picture quality and Tv should pass Dolby atoms to my Samsung Q70R sound bar (probably HDMI 2.1 earc support is needed)

I have picked few TV's
  1. Samsung Q80A - 1299 EUR - Read few forums and its very confusing whether i will get a VA panel or ADS panel. Spoke to Harvey Norman, Curry's and Samsung, none has answer.
  2. Sony X89JU - 1299 EUR
  3. LG Nano 91 - 1299 EUR
  4. LG OLED A16LA - 1499 EUR - This is a 60hz so not sure it its future proof.
  5. I really like LG OLED C16LA (1950 EUR) but its not in my budget

Note - I don't want to go with Hisense/TCL as I am not sure how good after sales service they have. So want to go with good brands.

Please advice what you all experts suggests :)

Thanks

1 and 5 are really the most suited on your list.
The A1 OLED is fine for an SDR TV, too low brightness for HDR though...and as you say 60hz panel so motion will be worse.

You don't need eARC or HDMI 2.1 for Dolby Atmos with streams, it's passed via ARC.

ive got a 43 89j and i love it.
I also have a Samsung q80t and a LG OLED
If you want my monies worth try and get an OLED if not that sony is pretty damn nice.

The A1 OLED is fine for an SDR TV, too low brightness for HDR though...and as you say 60hz panel so motion will be worse.

You don't need eARC or HDMI 2.1 for Dolby Atmos with streams, it's passed via ARC.
Thanks,
I have Samsung KU6400 which I bought in 2016 and it has Dolby digital plus and the Dolby atoms never worked in Netflix or Prime. So though may earc is required?

Sony X89J is just a mid range TV, next to no HDR hardware. Its not in the same class as the others and even uses an IPS panel.
Thanks,
I have Samsung KU6400 which I bought in 2016 and it has Dolby digital plus and the Dolby atoms never worked in Netflix or Prime. So though may earc is required?
That's because your TV doesn't support Dolby Atmos being sent in a Dolby Digital Plus container. It's got nothing to do with ARC. Likely the TV can support it, but the apps or smart system built into the TV can't. Any TV you buy now with vanilla ARC will work with Atmos. I just thought I'd mention it so it's one less thing you have to think about.

It's similar to this and results are very favourable.

Don't dismiss because of preference. Yeah the hdr isn't great but nor is any other TV on that list other than the oled

Sony X89J is just a mid range TV, next to no HDR hardware. Its not in the same class as the others and even uses an IPS panel.

That's because your TV doesn't support Dolby Atmos being sent in a Dolby Digital Plus container. It's got nothing to do with ARC. Likely the TV can support it, but the apps or smart system built into the TV can't. Any TV you buy now with vanilla ARC will work with Atmos. I just thought I'd mention it so it's one less thing you have to think about.
Thanks appreciate it.

Do you know what type of panel is will get if i buy Samsung q80A as i am based in Ireland.

I’ll join on that thread, as I have a similar question for 65”: should I give that much thought to choosing between a Q80A and a X90J? They seem like two of the closest matched TVs I’ve looked at, the differences seem very minor.

My two other considerations are The Frame and an A1 (budget on even the B1s is way off) for the obvious reasons for each TV, but I think the Q80 and X90 are better value in the end.

I’m leaning towards the Samsung, but I don’t love Tizen, from what I’ve used in hotels or friends’ places and I’m mostly fine with Android. Also the Sony does support Dolby Vision. But the Samsung is slightly cheaper at my preffered retailers, so I’m pretty much stuck.

Last edited:
I’ll join on that thread, as I have a similar question for 65”: should I give that much thought to choosing between a Q80A and a X90J? They seem like two of the closest matched TVs I’ve looked at, the differences seem very minor.

My two other considerations are The Frame and an A1 (budget on even the B1s is way off) for the obvious reasons for each TV, but I think the Q80 and X90 are better value in the end.

I’m leaning towards the Samsung, but I don’t love Tizen, from what I’ve used in hotels or friends’ places and I’m mostly fine with Android. Also the Sony does support Dolby Vision. But the Samsung is slightly cheaper at my preffered retailers, so I’m pretty much stuck.i agree

I’m leaning towards the Samsung, but I don’t love Tizen, from what I’ve used in hotels or friends’ places and I’m mostly fine with Android. Also the Sony does support Dolby Vision. But the Samsung is slightly cheaper at my preffered retailers, so I’m pretty much stuck.
That's right, i am also very confused, Sony x90j is 1600 euros, however q80A is 1300 euros. So obvious choice is q80A.
If someone can stretch the budget to 1600 then can get lg old c series in 1900 with soundbar 2.1ch free.

The X90J is behind the Q80A when it comes to brightness, and its important to remember that neither TVs are very good to use HDR on.

That's expected this time of year with a limited budget though, prices are still high and finding a 2020 model at a clearance discount will get you a much better TV.

For example; Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9505.

Last edited:
I have checked with my local retailer and they have confirmed that it has VA panel
Thats interesting, im quite interested in this TV but the ADS panel put me, wonder why there is confusion around it

US Q80A uses a mix of ADS (BA01) and VA (FB03/FA02) panels. Their 55 inch seems to be ADS exclusive, but 65'' and 75'' could also come with the same VA type SDC panels which they use in Europe as well. Europe is VA exclusive across the board. Rtings and Flatpanels are wrong, except for 50 & 85'' but those are always VA regardless of model or brand.

EU VA reviews
https://on-mag.fr/index.p...ed-dans-la-vie-de-samsung (SDC sub-pixel layout)
https://geex.x-kom.pl/rec...elewizora-samsung-55q80a/ (AUO sub-pixel layout)
https://www.lesnumeriques...qe65q80a-p64799/test.html (SDC sub-pixel layout)

US 65'' SDC panel (FG02) and Korean 65'' SDC panel (FA01)

Europe doesn't include version letters, but you can use my panel chart as reference:

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not wrong, its common for Europe to have different panels to the America's. Q80A in Europe is a different TV to NA.

They are not wrong, its common for Europe to have different panels to the America's. Q80A in Europe is a different TV to NA.
It isn't really it's the same. NA simply offers ADS next to VA, which makes a major difference of course. They do describe there might be differences though. However, their table claims all NA 65'' and 75'' will be ADS, but that isn't the case. There are SDC VA batches as well, see FB03/FA02 and this FG02 variant. Bottom line: EU all VA. NA mix of VA/ADS (50/85'' VA).

I know it's common, but the Q80T was actually different, the Q80A isn't except for the panel type lottery and thus ADS possibility in NA. If you end up with a SDC panel variant in NA it will be the same as the on in Europe. Same applies to the 50 and 85 inch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting this is definitely good news as had my eye on that one but didn't want IPS so will look into it again, hoping for a Black Friday deal on it

Interesting this is definitely good news as had my eye on that one but didn't want IPS so will look into it again, hoping for a Black Friday deal on it
See the response from the Retailer
Samsung QLED models, in particular the 8 series, use VA panels. As QLED has very high emphasis on colour and brightness, a VA panel is needed to support it.

The ADS panels are only on the QN models, particularly the Qn90. QN is a neo QLED, so in this case auto plan switching panel is needed.

My retailer gave me an option that if there will be a price drop on black Friday then I will get the money difference.
He was hopeful that this will come down to 1149 EUR on Black Friday and I am hopeful too :)

See the response from the Retailer
Samsung QLED models, in particular the 8 series, use VA panels. As QLED has very high emphasis on colour and brightness, a VA panel is needed to support it.

The ADS panels are only on the QN models, particularly the Qn90. QN is a neo QLED, so in this case auto plan switching panel is needed.

My retailer gave me an option that if there will be a price drop on black Friday then I will get the money difference.
He was hopeful that this will come down to 1149 EUR on Black Friday and I am hopeful too :)
How do they explain models like the QN95A and QN94A then :rotfl:

Dont know really :)
Not only that but as mentioned this same TV in the US doesn't always use VA panels so how do they explain that too, I wouldn't put too much faith in that retailer

That being said have decided im gonna try to get this TV on Black Friday hoping for a decent deal

Speaking of I found this but I have never heard of the site and the deal seems a little too good compared to the usual John Lewis/Currys/Richer sounds

Anyone any experience of this site: Samsung 2021 65" Q80A QLED 4K HDR 1500 Smart TV, | Box.co.uk

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom