• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on 55" TV

Discosnowy

Standard Member
Hi All
I'm after some advice. I currently have a very old 37" Hitachi plasma TV and need to upgrade. I have been umming and arring for a while now but think I have decided on 2 choices. I want it for normal TV, few films and box sets over Prime and BT TV, plus catch up. I have a load of DVDs so good upscaling would be a boon. I will also use it for gaming and planning on getting the Xbox Series X as soon as it comes out. Because of this for best results I understand I need to go for HDMI 2.1 with VRR. I really wanted sub 50" but the only one is the LG OLED48CX5 but is a bit more than I wanted to spend. So that leaves me between the Samsung QE55Q80T (£1099) or the Sony KD55XH9005 (£999). Which one would you go for, or are there others I have missed? We are having to shield at the moment and have been since end of March so I can't get into a shop to have a look. TIA

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hi All
I'm after some advice. I currently have a very old 37" Hitachi plasma TV and need to upgrade. I have been umming and arring for a while now but think I have decided on 2 choices. I want it for normal TV, few films and box sets over Prime and BT TV, plus catch up. I have a load of DVDs so good upscaling would be a boon. I will also use it for gaming and planning on getting the Xbox Series X as soon as it comes out. Because of this for best results I understand I need to go for HDMI 2.1 with VRR. I really wanted sub 50" but the only one is the LG OLED48CX5 but is a bit more than I wanted to spend. So that leaves me between the Samsung QE55Q80T (£1099) or the Sony KD55XH9005 (£999). Which one would you go for, or are there others I have missed? We are having to shield at the moment and have been since end of March so I can't get into a shop to have a look. TIA

Personally I'd avoid OLED if you game as there is a greater chance of burn in.

Out of the other two options it's hard to say, I think I'd go for the Sony as I like the motion but probably wise to try and compare the two side by side if you can. Some Richer sound's are opening up by appointment and will let you view side by side.

Dodgexander

Ideally you'd want to wait for the CX to come down in price since its the best all round TV with good future proofing for future gaming.

If you feel an LCD TV is better suited to you than an OLED, you should consider Samsung's Q80T and up, but don't buy a 2020 model like the Q80T or CX now if you can help it, they are currently very expensive and will come down in price drastically come Black Friday and later.

You'll want to avoid the XH9005 which is not really a true HDR TV having lost some peak brightness since the XF9005 it replaces.

Upscaling of poorer quality material on a TV isn't going to be great, if you still care how DVDs look on the TV you are best buying a smaller TV, which will make a much better impact on the overall quality than a 55" model with better upscaling. If this is the case you'll definitely want to avoid LCD TVs since none sub 55" come with any kind of future proofing at all and set your eyes only on the new 48" LG CX.

EDIT* to clarify Samsung is the only manufacturer to have future proof LCD TVs in 2020 with their Q80T and up models coming with a single HDMI 2.1 port. This applies only to 55" and over. Their smaller TVs do not have proper HDMI VRR support for gaming.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Ideally you'd want to wait for the CX to come down in price since its the best all round TV with good future proofing for future gaming.

If you feel an LCD TV is better suited to you than an OLED, you should consider Samsung's Q80T and up, but don't buy a 2020 model like the Q80T or CX now if you can help it, they are currently very expensive and will come down in price drastically come Black Friday and later.

You'll want to avoid the XH9005 which is not really a true HDR TV having lost some peak brightness since the XF9005 it replaces.

Upscaling of poorer quality material on a TV isn't going to be great, if you still care how DVDs look on the TV you are best buying a smaller TV, which will make a much better impact on the overall quality than a 55" model with better upscaling. If this is the case you'll definitely want to avoid LCD TVs since none sub 55" come with any kind of future proofing at all and set your eyes only on the new 48" LG CX.

EDIT* to clarify Samsung is the only manufacturer to have future proof LCD TVs in 2020 with their Q80T and up models coming with a single HDMI 2.1 port. This applies only to 55" and over. Their smaller TVs do not have proper HDMI VRR support for gaming.

The XH9005 isn't as bright at the XF9005 and is the same brightness at the Q80T, which is as bright as the Q70R from 2019. Samsung seem to have scaled everything back from last year which is bizarre. I would still go for the XH9005 as it has the 2.1 hdmi as well and the better motion than the Samsung.

Dodgexander

The XH9005 isn't as bright at the XF9005 and is the same brightness at the Q80T, which is as bright as the Q70R from 2019. Samsung seem to have scaled everything back from last year which is bizarre. I would still go for the XH9005 as it has the 2.1 hdmi as well and the better motion than the Samsung.
I'm not sure the figures for the Q80T review at rtings.com are correct. The same TV reviewed in the UK here: Samsung Q80T QLED TV review states around 900 nits in a 10% window which should mean even higher in a 2% one. Could be differences in review samples(rtings.com 55", techradar 65"), but more likely regional differences.

After all, the North American Q80T is not really sold in EU. The Q85T being more similar here. The Sony however I expect is the same in NA/EU.

If the TV doesn't get near to 1000 nits peak brightness, it won't be suitable for HDR use. In which case the Q90T/Sony XH9505 are better choices. Overall it seems TVs are a big downgrade this year.

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure the figures for the Q80T review at rtings.com are correct. The same TV reviewed in the UK here: Samsung Q80T QLED TV review states around 900 nits in a 10% window which should mean even higher in a 2% one. Could be differences in review samples(rtings.com 55", techradar 65"), but more likely regional differences.

After all, the North American Q80T is not really sold in EU. The Q85T being more similar here. The Sony however I expect is the same in NA/EU.

If the TV doesn't get near to 1000 nits peak brightness, it won't be suitable for HDR use. In which case the Q90T/Sony XH9505 are better choices. Overall it seems TVs are a big downgrade this year.

Very confusing because they are huge differences in output.

Discosnowy

Standard Member
Thank you for your feedback. I looked at the XH9505 but I don't think it has HDMI 2.1, which is strange being the model up from XH9005 which does (or will have shortly). I'm probably going to go for the XH9005, no reason why other than I have always had good experience with their products.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your feedback. I looked at the XH9505 but I don't think it has HDMI 2.1, which is strange being the model up from XH9005 which does (or will have shortly). I'm probably going to go for the XH9005, no reason why other than I have always had good experience with their products.

It's getting good feedback on the owners thread.

Dodgexander

The XH9505 doesn't include HDMI 2.1. The Sony XH9005 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 yet either, but at least has 2x capable ports which Sony promise to update to work.

The XH9005 remains a poor option for HDR. I won't be recommending that TV like I did with the previous models it replaces. The XH9505 is a much better TV all round with better brightness that pushes it over the line for HDR use.

If you didn't read already, with HDR the brightness the TV can push out is one of, if not the most important factor.

For PS5/Series X recommendations are likely going to be in order of best to worst:

LG CX OLED
Samsung Q90T/Q95T
Samsung Q85T
Samsung Q80T

Best of the rest:

Sony XH9505 - fine if you don't mind losing HDMI 2.1 features. For gaming this is mainly ALLM and VRR support. Not crucial for gaming, but nice to haves.
Samsung Q70T - HDMI 2.1 but an edge lit model, probably not a good idea, but may be an option for some with very limited budgets.

Samsung have some gaming exclusive features too, unlike other TVs you can enable motion enhancements in game mode which can help with low frame rate gaming especially (most titles are probably going to be limited to 30fps) and also effective BFI which can reduce motion blur a lot.

Discosnowy

Standard Member
The XH9505 doesn't include HDMI 2.1. The Sony XH9005 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 yet either, but at least has 2x capable ports which Sony promise to ...............

Many thanks for the response. Ok, I'm going to wait to see if the LG CX comes down in price over the next few months and make a decision, It's already dropped a massive £10 at Currys :facepalm:.
If I have to I have a monitor I can rig up to the XBox until the TV is sourced. :thumbsup:

Discosnowy

Standard Member
I meant to update, in the end I purchased the LG55CX last month as it was £200 cheaper than the 48. It is fantastic, if a little on the large side. Really happy though, thanks for all your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom