1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on 50" Plasma needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tankahjoh2, Jan 21, 2003.

1. tankahjoh2

tankahjoh2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I am looking to buy a Panasonic 50 inch plasma. Can the good people
    in this great forum advice me which Panasonic 50 inch model is worth
    buying. There seems to be many different models, I am a bit confused.

Panasonic TH-50PHD5
    Panasonic TH-50PHW5B
    Panasonic TH-50PHW5B TNR

2) Also, can I safely say that the chepaest place I can get a Pana 50
    inch plasma is from Richer Sounds? I hear that the Panasonic TH50PHW5B
    is sold the cheapest in Richer Sounds, is this true?

3) I presume the best screens are Fujitsu, Pionner and Panasonic,
    which brand gives the best picture quality?

I do appreciate any advice given and I thank you in advance.

Tan

2. tankahjoh2

tankahjoh2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I note that my post had 55 views but no one bothered to give any help or advice.

Maybe this forum is for people who have been here for a while and not newcomers like myself who don't know anythinh about plasmas.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    Or maybe folk who viewed wanted the same info and didn't know either.

You should contact a plasma re-seller regarding the difference between those three models

My guess is:
    D5= Commercial model
    W5= Domestic model (same spec)
    TNR= As W5 but with analogue terrestrial TV TuNeR and switcher

Could Richer sound have given you this information? Which one is best depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Which manufacturer is best...Well you need to go and view them to work that out for yourself. My own opinion is that Pioneer and Panasonic have the march on everyone else (of course there are re-badges of both from other manufacturers...Toshiba, Sharp for instance).

Joe Fernand at The Media Factory is always worth a call as is Ken Davies at Ivojo. They both actually understand the products they sell and will be able to give sensible advice and probably competative pricing

Gordon

4. tankahjoh2

tankahjoh2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Gordon for your kind advice. Joe to has answered my e-mail via the newsgroup.

Where can I get the cheapest Pioneer and Panasonic plasma then? Do you have a website?

I have noticed Ivojo and Nexnix and audiotech croydon are the cheapest. Are there any cheaper places?

cheers

Tan

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    I'm not a fan of cheapest....more a fan of best. Dealers are only worth the money once you've bought something. That's when service comes in to play. I am not cheapest. I'll let you work out rest.

Gordon

6. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Totally agree with Gordon.

Saving yourself a tiny bit of cash in the short-term is not as valuable as good customer in the longer term.

Of the dealers you listed, I've used Ivojo for several items and found them to be consistenly excellent.

StooMonster

7. tankahjoh2

tankahjoh2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am really not looking for after sales service or advice as I would be returning to my home country and just want to buy a plasma and don't need installation. I do understand the warranty would be void overseas. That is why I am looking for the chepest place.

It is here I need advice. Besides the plasma, what else do I need?

I will be hooking on to my Sony DAV-880 and be connecting my cable decoder box to the plasma.

So I gather what I need are the wall mounts and couple of cables.
    Are there anything else needed? Also, advice me what cables are needed and whether I need to buy them or comes free with the plasma.

Thank you both for the advice earlier

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Why buy here in UK then? We are not particularly cheap in world terms. Where are you taking it? Cables depend on what you are trying to display on it. Which might depend on where you are taking it, in the case of TV. If I were a dealer I might have concluded that you were wasting my time at this stage, and switch off. Be nice to them, they give you more money off if they like you, it's a fact. Tell them where you're going, what the electricity supply is, what DVD/PC/STB you want to use it with. Plainly a UK tuner box will be useless to you. It's very difficult to give you any more pointers, you are not very informative. As you notice, dealers have replied to you and all you've asked them is who is the cheapest. They are not allowed to tout for business on the forums, they are here to help us, and most of us are very grateful for their experience.

9. tankahjoh2

tankahjoh2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Maw for your advice. I will be taking it to Malaysia/Singapore where these plasmas cost double in price! So trust me when I say I will be saving a whole lot especially more when I can claim VAT in the UK airport.

My power voltage is the same as the UK.

I do not need a tuner as my satellite decoder (similar to a UK Sky box) would act as a tuner (correct me if I am wrong). I will be watching either DVDs from my DVD player and using my Satellite box to watch satellite TV.

Sadly, due to my ignorance in technical knowledge, I do not know the sockets involved ie what the DVD/PC/STB/Pal/Secam etc etc sockets are. But I am quite confident the sockets on the plasma would be compatible to my decoder and dvd player. In any case, how do I be sure about this?

thanks

Tan

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Tan, have a quick read of the sticky (the top post on connections). You'll basically need a component video cable (possibly with BNC connectors on one end if you're connecting to the PWD5 version) for the DAVS880, and if you're cable outputs RGB via it's scart a JS plasma VGA box, a SyncBlaster cable or a SyncBlaster black Box will all do the job. (The sticky pretty much covers this)