Advice on 5.1 speakers

C

Chrissb

Hi, first post :thumbsup: ... firstly cracking site, well done to the staff and community, helped alot when i was buying my new TV. Now my kids are growing up a little and i know they wont rub chocolate on the TV i am trying to setup a little cinema system. I bought the TV last year and as its my 10th wedding anniversary soon i want to treat myself to some speakers. My budget is low but i have dug out my old Kenwood KRF-V5050D which i'm hoping will do and also my two floorstanders and middle speaker. The trouble is they are to big for my lounge now even though i love the sound they produce :( . So my questions are, is my amp ok for a cinema setup now days and i see reading through alot of other threads that people recommend THESE SPEAKERS . Do you actually get nice sound out of something so small as although i wont have them ear blistering loud i do like the sound turned up when watching a movie. I know this is not jaw dropping stuff from some of the amazing stuff i've seen that people have but i do like watching movies and want a little piece of the action ;) . I have a 37" 1080p Toshiba and i plan to get a DVD with upscaling in a couple of months with a blu-ray player next year. Please treat me as a total n00b as i only know the very basics but i would really love some thoughts to get myself a nice budget cinema system up and running. :D

I can't be much help, but to those who can here is a ebay link for the amp (Kenwood don't seem to have a uk site for Home electronics!)

Kenwood Dolby Digital Receiver Amplifier KRF-V5050D Amp on eBay, also Integrated Amplifiers, Amplifiers, Home Audio Hi Fi, Consumer Electronics (end time 29-Jan-09 14:59:42 GMT)

Also I would recommend an actual budget for people to help with, one persons cheap is another person expensive.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I got these speakers last week.

I'm similar to you just getting into the AV world. Due the space available at uni house it meant that floorstanders etc werent an option. Whilst I cant compare the Tannoy SFX system to others around the price range I have been very impressed and perfectly happy with the way they sound.

I have them connected to a slimline Pioneer receiver, used for PS3 and Xbox gaming and Blu Rays on PS3. I havent been able to completely make them a surround system due to not being able to drill etc etc but as said im impressed with them for the price.

Other options at this price range would be the Jamo and Kefs which are on superfi and also in the power buy section here the Cantons were recommended to me.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies, are you able to get these smaller type speakers up loud and still sounding good as i've never used any of them before?

Thanks for the replies, are you able to get these smaller type speakers up loud and still sounding good as i've never used any of them before?

The Tannoys that I have can get pretty loud, my rooms only small about 12 x 10 foot, and the highest ive gone on my receiver is -25 its plenty loud enough for me at -40

Just thought i'd reply to recommend the Tannoy SFX's as i set them up and i'm really impressed with them. I'm running them through my Kenwood KRF-V5050D via the DVD coaxial and they sound great, can get them really loud as well. I bought a Toshiba SD-580 as well and the picture quality is so much better than before on my Toshiba XV50 screen. Would recommend any of the above to anyone on a budget and wanting to get a nice budget cinema system up and running.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom