1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on 36"

Discussion in 'TVs' started by hall2056, Oct 8, 2001.

1. hall2056

hall2056

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I am looking to buy a 36" tv, what is the best for my requirements and usage? Also where is the best place to buy?

3 Scart sockets essential!

Used for:
    PS2
    DVD
    ITV Digital

Thanks in advance!
    nICE SURROUND ( to keep the wife happy).

2. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PANASONIC TX-36PF10

36" Widescreen CRT. Flat-screen T[tau]. NICAM 5-speaker system. 100Hz. EISA winner 1999-2000.
    http://www.hispek.com/acatalog/www_hispek_com_PANASONIC_544.html

£1399.88 with stand, delivered. You could get John Lewis to price match them and get the free 5 year gurantee. This model is being discontinued so the price might drop further still or you might find it harder to get hold of the later you leave it.

Let me knows....

3. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ... Or the Tosh 36ZP18.

I had pretty much the same criteria as you - PS2/DVD & Sky Digital, and the Tosh is great for them all. Analogue reception does let it down slightly, but if you've got ITV Digital, then that's not an issue anyway.

The Tosh isn't perfect (as you'll see from this board), but from the various reviews and opinions, it does seem to be as good a 36" set as you can get.

It's also a damn fine looking set. I have to day, that in the corner of my living room, it really doesn't look as imposing as other sets I've seen. Or maybe I've just got used to it.

A friend of mine has the 36PF10 and tells me that it's a good set too. It's not going to win any beauty contests though!

There's also the new 36" Panasonic that's just come out, but I haven't seen any reviews of it yet.

Nigel.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered the brand new Panasonic 36PL30 from Empire Direct for £1367. As far as I could see that was the cheapest price for a new 36 incher, even less than the outgoing 36PF10 model and a lot nicer looking. I've got an external DD/DTS receiver so I only wanted a Nicam set.
    Only slight worry is no one seems to have tested it yet so it's a bit of an unknown quantity.

5. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is an amazing price for that telly. I thought that must have been a mistake at first. The TX-36PL30 is the same as the TX-36PB50 except it has NICAM sound, I think?

As for better looking, come on! The 36PF10 is one of the best looking tellys around, even 2-3 years after it's release!

6. aqureshi

aqureshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Need input on Panasonic 36PL30. oes this suffer from the same problem as other Panasonic TVs mentioned in this forum.

Cheers

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the PL is much the same as the PB but has no built in DD/DTS decoder and only a single tuner. PIP/PAP etc are derived from other inputs. Problems with the PG/PB series seem to be down to either the inbuilt DD/DTS or the twin tuners so I'm hoping the "stripped out" PL won't suffer the same problems.
    You're right, the 36PF10 is a great set. I think it was the first 36" CRT in the UK and still gives great pictures along side the competition. Respect is due !!

8. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just go the the Panasonic website if you want the official specs: www.panasonic.co.uk

Also, the 36PL30 does not seem to have Progressive Scan as well, so the digital processing might be less obvious. HCC have reviewed the 36PB50 and gave it an OK review. They should upload it on to their website soon. Try www.ecoustics.com , this searches for sites that review equipment.

9. motta_lunn

motta_lunn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, my mistake. WhatVideo&TV reviewed it (Panasonic TX-36PB50). They should upload it on to their website soon one would imagine.

10. aaronlittle

aaronlittle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUY YOUR TV FROM JOHN LEWIS! they will match the price (inc delivery) as stated above (even internet prices) provided it is complete (cabinet).

what do you get? superb service and delivery and best of all, a five year guarantee. you dont get this at empiredirect, or any dodgy grey imports.

interesting comments above. i have been thinking about getting a 36" for a while (my mate has a 32" tosh, gotta go 1 bigger). the new panasonic PB50 is a smart looking tv.

it is reviewed in the october what hifi which i have been trying to get hold of but think its out of stock so you will have to wait for reviews!

Im interested about the PL36, i too aint too interested in the dts and dpl, etc, as i have a seperate amp. the 1350 figure sounds superb. tv looks lovely, must get hold of a review!

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: aaronlittle ]