1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on 32" Widescreen

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Sam, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Panny TX32PK1, which I bought due to the info I got from this site a couple of years ago, has just given up the ghost (loads of convergence) which John Lewis tell me isn't worth fixing. So I get to choose another one of equivalent value (£949).

I'd like some advice on what I can get for that sort of price nowadays (and it has to be stocked by John Lewis of course!)?

I don't want anything with Pro logic or DD as I have a separate amp, I'm not interested in a digital tuner either, and not really a fan of 100hz TVs. It has to have a flat screen and if I can get a TV with progressive scan then that would be great, but I'm not sure if they're in my price bracket??

If there's a TV that is exceptional, but it's £50-£100 more expensive then I'll be able to get the cash to make up the difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

2. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But I'd have to pay extra for the stand though wouldn't I?

4. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The silver aventos comes with the stand included in the price. However - I bought a decent stand from Ikea for £35 for my Loewe Vitros - so don't worry too much about this, just go for best picture quality. Ikea have loads of TV stands for decent prices.

5. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What is it like watching fast moving stuff like football? That is what I watch about 80% of the time, so I don't want something with that horrible 100hz blurry effect.

6. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I watch footy a lot as well - and there are no 100hz draw backs that you get with other sets! Provided it is a high bit rate transmission (I assume you ahve digital or cable) all sport really does look great. Just do a search on these forums.:D

7. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Cheers for the prompt reply.

Just phoned JL and they are currently selling it for £1250! I'll have to see if they allow me to price match even though I'm not actually 'buying' one now as such. I'll go and have a look at the TV on Monday.

Any other recommendations? What 50hz TVs come recommended?

8. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    John Lewis tell me that they don't price match Internet sites!! I thought they did??

Are there any shops that do it for a similar price?

9. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it is a shop - they just have a website as well. They have matched them in the past.

10. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I suppose I should have read the statement on the front page:

DOH! :rolleyes:

Will check it out today and see what John Lewis can offer.

Thanks again mate,

Sam

11. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    John Lewis only stock the Black Aventos. They will only supply the Silver Aventos at RRP and will not price match as it is a special order.

That was what I was told a few months ago.

Cheers

Ste

12. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Really? Seems like a dumb decision to only stock the black version as they're both the same price at other places and I'd assume the silver one would be more popular...??

Was really impressed with the TV today, but would be a bit put off if the black was the only option.

Being 200 miles away from TV and Video Direct's shop means that my local John Lewis in Kingston won't price match, but if I can get one price matched from a local branch (presumably Cheadle?) they will ship it down for free. Stupid rules, but at least there is a way around it.

13. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam - I'm sure John Lewis are supposed to price match from all round the country. Have a search round these forums. I have seen the Aventos displayed in silver in John Lewis on Oxford Street, so I think it depends which branch you buy from and who you deal with - some sales people seem to be better than others! Good luck anyway - let us know how you get on.

14. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I searched for John lewis price match on this site and found a post which mentioned that John Lewis had their pricing policy on their website.

I am going in tomorrow, armed with a print of this bit on their website to see what they say as it clearly says they will refund from any shop selling for less in the UK.

Incidentally, whilst I was in the shop, I noticed the Mimo which is £100 more. Looked quite nice. Any thoughts on it?

15. Chris_D

Chris_D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im curious if anyone knows a tv store near John Lewis in Kingston which stocks TVs cheaper? I recently bought a philips 32PW9308 which TV and Video Direct have cheaper, would be nice if someone knew some where i could get JL to price match against.

16. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sam - the Loewe's all perform pretty much the same, so if you prefer the styling of the mimo then go for it!

17. bluetile

bluetile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here's an idea - why not just buy your Loewe TV from tvandvideodirect. If you pay with Barclaycard then you can apply for a free extra year warranty on top of the 2 years that comes with the TV. How many sets go wrong in years 4 and 5? Faulty sets tend to be delivered faulty or go wrong in the first few months. The 5 year deal from John Lewis is great but don't get hung up on it - I've just bought my Aventos with 3 year warranty without any pricematch hassle. I just went to the retailer who quotes the lowest price and I think they deserve to get some of the sales for their pricing instead of allowing others (JL) to benefit.
    Hope this doesn't sound like a rant - just my thoughts.

18. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bluetile,

I bought my machine 2 years ago, but it's gone faulty so John Lewis have told me to choose another one, so ipersonally have no choice.

I'd still rather have a 5 year warranty however and think it's worth trying depite the hassle that goes with it (plus you save £40 on delivery that tv&vid direct charge)

19. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have phoned 4 different John Lewis' - including the Oxford Street one - and none stock the Aventos in Silver. :(

20. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    bluetile, could you give me more info re the extra years warranty if I pay by Barclaycard

Thanks

Ste

21. bluetile

bluetile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  22. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Decided on the cream Mimo. Went into John lewis today and they are going to phone up tv and video direct. So I'll have to see if they had stock when JL phoned up.

JL had no problems with the fact that it wasn't local.

Will have to see what happens.

Need to find a stand to go with it now!!! :rolleyes:

23. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi BlueTile

I have just spoken to Barclaycard and Plasmas/Widescreen TVs are actually excluded from the warranty Offer

Let me know if you find otherwise

Cheers

Ste

24. bluetile

bluetile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds very wrong. I had no problem getting the extra year on my widescreen aventos. Plasmas may be a different matter.

25. ste1010

ste1010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    BlueTile

You have actually done it. Thats I will bear that in mind. When I said Widescreen TV, she replied Plasma and Flatscreen TVs. She may have got it wrong.

Thanks

Ste

26. bluetile

bluetile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ste

Sounds like they thought flat screen meant flat panel which may be excluded. If you try again then I think you should be ok.

27. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I got a letter back last saturday from JL to say that TV & Vid Direct the shop were actually selling it for a higher price and it was the internet site that were doing the price I quoted.

Seemd like they were just trying to fob me off, so I phoned up TV & Vid direct to clarify (discretly of course!) and found I was correct.

Went back to JL and had a polite but firm conversation with the undersales department explaining that I wanted them to go back and try again on both the Aventos and Mimo as I thought they had made a mistake.

Got a letter yesterday confirming the TV&Vid Direct prices so that I can get the TVs for those prices. :clap:

Am now leaning towards the Aventos, but will go back in today and see if I can finally get it ordered.

:)

28. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How cheeky is that from John Lewis? How stupid do they think people are?:mad:

29. Sam

Sam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nuts! :mad:

JL say that I am not entitled to the whole £949 of my original purchase, only the price of the equivalnet TV tday which they tell me is the £799 TC32-PS12C.

So basically I have £799 worth of credit.

:(

30. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What? I'm sure they're not allowed to get way with that? You might want to start a new post to find out your rights and see if anyone can help out.