Advice on 2nd Set

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Geordiefly, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Geordiefly

Geordiefly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a set of Sennheiser IE6's and love them, but im going through foam tips very quickly and felt like getting a different set for in the house relaxing/working on the computer. Then I can use the IE6's while I'm out and at work!

I've been looking online and have found a few (price range is roughly £40-£80) but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my time. Would any of these match or beat the quality from the IE6's or should I just stick to what I've got? I don't have a lot of money to play with so £80 really is the max :S

AKG K450 Headphones Navy (£80)
    AKG K450 Headphones Navy: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Sennheiser HD 238 Precision (£43)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001UE6I06

Klipsch Image One (£77)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0043M9AU2

Denon AHD 1100 (£73)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003YUBE4E

(Prices are buying direct from Amazon UK, no independent sellers)

I love very different styles of music - Classical, Rock (soft/classic/alt), R&B, Vocal, Instrumental, Jazz, Smooth/Easy Listening, Blues, Dance, tiny bit of dubstep. I would love a really good all-rounder with that little bit extra bass, mainly for use with my iPhone 4. To be used pretty much on a daily basis.

Am I on the right track with what I've been looking at? I've haven't had a chance to get anywhere to try them on and listen to the sound quality yet, but if I can get an idea on what's best for my price range then I can make a start!

Cheers for any help :)

2. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The hd238's are really good and easy to drive so would work well with your iphone. Sound wise they have loads of bass and a sparkly trebble.

3. Geordiefly

Geordiefly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of the reviews for them say the sound quality is very good, but everyone seems to mention that they leak a lot of sound and they also let sound in. Have you tried them?

4. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes i have a pair and they do leak sound. They are open backed after all.

5. Geordiefly

Geordiefly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you say it's a lot? I don't want to disturb people around me (too much) so I might have to stick to closed back. I noticed the AKG K450's have been rated quite high. Won an award or two! They look amazing, are supposed to be very comfortable, but they do look very small and I have a large head o_O

Thanks for the advice so far :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. Phildick

Phildick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I would say they leak enough to be unsuitable for comuting. They're small too, nice and comfy though.

7. Geordiefly

Geordiefly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone tried the AKG K450? I've been reading more reviews and some of the sites are claiming the mids/highs are not so good, but then I've noticed in the comments actual owners arguing against this. They're listed on amazon for £80 but I've found them from Richer Sounds for £50. Contacted AKG to find out if there is any warranty or if they can confirm they are classed as an authorised seller.