Advice on 2 x Converter for my Sony A350

anthony566

Hi im thinking of getting a 2 x Converter for my A350 and im not sure what make to look for as the Sony SAL20TC is £300 !!!! and im not looking to spend that kind of cash on one so all advice is welcome.

:clap:

springtide

Distinguished Member
- Any converter will degrade the IQ regardless of cost.

- They also reduce the aperture by a number of stops.

- Because the aperture is reduced, if the lens wasn't fast to start with the AF may have problems.

- They may not be compatible with some of your lenses.

Most people get x2 converters for long fast zooms (i.e. 70-2000 f2.8) - and you don't seem to have any of them. What did you want lens did you want to use the x2 converter on, and what subjects do you plan to use this for?

anthony566

Im looking to use this for Moon shots and im also looking for a lens to go with it but dont want to have to sell my car to buy them :D

springtide

Distinguished Member
Im looking to use this for Moon shots and im also looking for a lens to go with it but dont want to have to sell my car to buy them :D

How much is your car worth?

i.e. what is the budget for both the lens and tele converter? [ and is this for a one off shot, or do you plan to invest in 'shooting stars?' ]

anthony566

i would like to get hold of second hand kit so as cheap as i can really in terms of budget and yes im into astro things so taking photos of them was the next step really .... :thumbsup:

Alistair

To be honest, unless you are going to use a 2x TC on a big prime lens like a 300, 400 or 500mm then a 2x TC is really a last resort.

First, you will lose AF with the lens, not really a problem if you are using it for astro since you will likely be focussing manually anyway. Secondly, a TC may not even fit your zoom lens, as certainly with Canon ones the need the back element on the lens to be recessed to fit.

I have tried moon shots with my 1D Mark 3, 500/4 IS and 2x and even at an equivalent 1300mm I am still a long way off....

Could you not find a compatible used mirror lens or something like that? Even some kind of telescope attachment would be better.....

springtide

Distinguished Member
Mike.P®;8735755 said:
Mmmmmm, dont think he has a car valuable enough for that lens ... :D

Oooooooppps! One extra '0' on there!! Well spotted!

Now that would be some lens!
The aperture would be 0.75m in diameter :)

anthony566

What about a "Centon 500mm mirror lens f8" and "500mm f8 Tamron SP AD2 BBAR MC Telephoto Mirror 55BB" are these any good ?

Last edited:

Mike.P®

500mm is not going to get you very close to be honest.
This was taken at 840mm (a 300mm prime, a 2x and a 1.4x TC) and its nothing special compared to a lot I have seen.

If you are going to do decent moon shots then I think you need one of those telescope adapter things and a ruddy great telescope to go with it.

Of the 2 mirror lenses you mention, the Tamron is probably the better but you will need an Adaptall 2 mount to go on it.

Mike.P®

Whats an "Adaptall 2 mount" ?? and were would i get one ?

Tamron made a range of lenses many years ago which used an interchangeable mount so the lenses could be used on many brands of camera (Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Pentax ... even Leica).
They are all manual focus and on some makes fully manual including metering.
There are 2 types of lens, the normal Adaptall 2 and the SP variant (which is the better quality range).
I have 3 or 4 of these lenses in different focal lengths and they are superb on my Pentax K10D.

You will get a mount off Ebay (Minolta I presume for your Sony) but it all depends on how happy you are to go fully manual if necessary.

anthony566

Thanks for the info Mike if i go for one ill stick to the Tamron SP one i think .... just need to find a adapter for Sony :D I am also looking ( later in the year ) at getting a Meade LX 200 GPS 10" Scope and will look into mounting the Sony onto that when it happens...

I've decided im going for a 500mm f8 Tamron SP AD2 BBAR MC Telephoto Mirror 55BB this converts to around 750mm on my Sony A350 and then twice that with a Tamron SP BBAR MC 2x TELE CONVERTOR lens 01F .... all for just under £200 i think :)

Mike were will i get an Adaptall 2 mount from ?

Last edited:

Mike.P®

I've decided im going for a 500mm f8 Tamron SP AD2 BBAR MC Telephoto Mirror 55BB this converts to around 750mm on my Sony A350 and then twice that with a Tamron SP BBAR MC 2x TELE CONVERTOR lens 01F .... all for just under £200 i think :)

Mike were will i get an Adaptall 2 mount from ?

The lens should cost you no more than £100, the TC no more than £15 (I have one and its actually pretty good for the monry but can only be used with Adaptall lenses) and I'm not sure on the mount (not having a Sony) but I would estimate around £20.
You will also need a good tripod for that combo, the lens is fairly light being a mirror but its pretty slow (constant f8) and with the teleconverter adding a couple of stops it will need one.

Look on Ebay, you will find them all there.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom