Question Advice on 2.0 active speakers for TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mpkb, Nov 20, 2017.

1. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      My first post, please be gentle :)

For years I’ve been running my TV sound through an old JVC stereo hi-if, and it sounded great! However, recently the TV went caput so I invested in a lovely new Sony Bravia 4K HDR set, which also came with a ‘free’ (that should have set the alarm bells ringing) soundbar and subwoofer. It was with some excitement that I set it all up and played the first movie...

Hang on a minute, I must have wired it up incorrectly, or maybe there’s a setting somewhere that I’ve missed - it sounds like someone listening to their iPhone in the bathroom?!...

Nope, after a few weeks of use I now realise that this is how it’s supposed to sound. To say I’m slightly underwhelmed is an understatement. How is it that a 10+ year old JVC hi-fi can sound so much better than this brand new soundbar/subwoofer? If I crank up the volume then yes, it sounds kind of ok, but with two small kids and neighbours the reality is I usually have to have the sound sensibly low.

So to my question. I could reconnect the JCV, I know I like the sound it makes, but really I’m after a more minimal solution. I’m not massively interested in surround sound, I would probably be very happy with a pair of decent 2.0 active speakers that don’t break the bank.

Having already done a bit of research I quite like the look/idea of the Edifier R1800 Tiii speakers. Not too big, not too small, I can connect to the TV and an Echo Dot for music.

Do people think these would be a good choice? Are there better alternatives around the same price point £150-ish.

Looking forward to your thoughts and advice.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    2. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Ah, I've just realised I should have posted this in the "What speakers should I buy?" thread. It doesn't look like I can delete or move this post though?...

3. PSM1

PSM1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,417
      What outputs does your new TV have in terms of sound?

4. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Sorry, I should have specified that. It's got HDMI (ARC) which I'm currently using for the soundbar, optical, and a 3.5mm headphone jack. I don't mind if I have to use the headphone jack.

5. PSM1

PSM1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,417
      Do you still want the ability to control the speakers via a remote control?
      The headphone jack could give you poor sound quality since the onboard headphone amps on TVs can be pretty poor.

6. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I did wonder about that, that's why I'm thinking active speakers would be a good bet. The Edifier R1800 Tiiis come with a remote, so I would be able to control the volume using that even if I can no longer take advantage of ARC.

7. PSM1

PSM1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,417
      Those speakers do not have an optical input, only analogue. If you use the analogue input then you need to use the headphone socket and hence the sound quality may not be great. Look for an active set with optical input and you should be good.

8. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Ok thanks for the advice, I'll see what I can find. Does anyone one know of anything similar to the Edifier R1800 Tiiis, but with an optical input?

9. droidlike

droidlike

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +129
    10. winteriscoming

winteriscoming

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      I suggest you look at "active studio monitors"

You might find something there that's suitable. And yes, optical out is extremely important.

11. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      They look gorgeous, but a little more than I was hoping to spend. The Edifier R1800 Tiiis are £120 for example. I would probably be prepared to spend about £150.

12. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I believe the The Edifier R1800 Tiiis are classed as studio monitors, and they're definitely active so could be a good option.

What do people think of getting a DAC (I see you can get them for about £10-£20 on Amazon)? I could then use the optical output on the TV into the RCA inputs on the speaker?

13. winteriscoming

winteriscoming

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Yeah that would be a good idea, headphone out from TV most likely won't give you best quality. You can do Optical to DAC then RCA out. It's basically what I'm doing with my TV setup.

Most active monitors don't have a DAC built in that would accept SPDIF. One that does comes to mind would be AVI speakers, but they're into audiophile territory.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
      Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,339
      'For years I’ve been running my TV sound through an old JVC stereo hi-if, and it sounded great!' - then stick with it, if you enjoy the sound you are very unlikely to equal it for £150.00.

Studio Monitors are 'Near Field' and often sound best when you are sat very close to them.

Soundbars have gotten better in recent years but the physical limitations of a narrow bar has an impact on what you can reproduce.

Joe

15. jon_273

jon_273
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Sony TV's usually let you change the headphone out to a line out with a 'Variable' setting which means the remote control will still control the volume. I used mine like this with an old Sony hifi and it worked great! Easier to use like this and no need to spend £10-£20 on a DAC which probably won't sound any better.

I use Paradigm shift A2's. They sound good at low volumes but they will be out of budget if you can even still get them. Be aware that proper studio monitors usually sound better when turned right up, so at low ish volumes they might not sound great. Have you looked into a good set of PC speakers? Or just keep the JVC...

16. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +21
    17. mpkb

mpkb
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone.

In the end I found a deal on the Edifier R1800 Tiiis for £90, so I thought I'd give them a go (my intention was to use them with my computer if I didn't like the sound with the TV). I also ended up buying a £10 DAC so I could connect them to the optical out on the TV (there was some issue using the headphone socket, although I forget what it was right now).

On the whole I would say I'm very happy with the result, the Edifiers have a vastly superior sound to the soundbar, a much 'fuller' sound. My only niggle is that sometimes things sound a a tiny bit hollow and echo'y, but not enough to be overly off-putting.

I think this could be due to a number of factors:
      1. The audio stream quality itself - Digital TV in particular doesn't always sound great (compression?).
      2. How far apart I have the speakers - They are on a TV bench, either side of a 55" TV. I would like to put them wider apart to 'broaden' the field of sound, but that would require speaker stands (my wife says "no" :p).
      3. How far back I sit - Certainly when I sit equidistant between the speakers it sounds a bit better than on the far side of the room where the sofa is (about 4m away) - this is basically the same as the issue above
      4. The TV bench itself sits in a square bay window area, so maybe the acoustics of the area create this slight echo
      As I said though, on the whole I'm very happy. Maybe I'll upgrade things in the future, but for £100 I've achieved what I wanted. Now to sell the soundbar...