Advice on 1st build

paulbrannan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Moved into a new property which is detached and has a 2nd living room which I'd like to use as a home cinema. If i could get a bit of advice before embarking it would be much appreciated.

1. So the space is 3.74m by 5.07m. My first question is where to site the projector. As you can see in the pic, there is already cabling in place mid-way on one of the longer walls so it would be easy for me to install here but the distance from wall to wall would limit the size of the screen to 100-120" by my calculations, and the projector would be over seating area. However, it would make placement of the speakers simple (probably 5.1.2).

2. I guess the other option would be to use the length of the room and to black out the bi-fold doors posbbily with a screen. I'm not sure how practical or unsightly this would be and it would also limit speaker placement a bit, and the seating area would be quite far away/

3. A further consideration is the skylight. I guess it would be prohibitely expensive to get individual blinds for each section of this so thought to just get a blind which would close off the reactangular space below. Does anyone have any experience of a similar build? I guess the bi-fold doors could just be blacked out with curtains.

4. I've been thinking about a 4k/HDR projector to future proof myself but wondered whether with a projected image you are going to appreciate the difference as much as you would between 1080/4k TV. ANy ideas?

5. Approximate budget would be £4-5000. I do have a BK P12-300SB-FF in my living room which I was thinking to use in this room, so c
20210621_093405.jpg
20210621_093414.jpg
20210621_093426.jpg
20210621_093436.jpg
ould I get some recommendations on speakers and an AVR to match, quite happy to look at 2nd hand speakers?

Thanks in advance

Looking at the pictures it’s looks to me as though you really only have 2 choices here - projector at the bifold end or where the existing cabling is. Unless you’re planning on chasing power and HDMI cables to the patio doors then I’d say stick with the easiest option!

Your skylight is similar to mine (although mine is flat) so it should be pretty easy to get a made to measure blind to fill the space, ours is remote controller but you can add voice capabilities if you feel the need.

Speaker and AVR wise there are some good package deals on available from the usual suspect online, take a look at the classifieds on here for some bargains too. Denon/Marantz and KEF/Monitor Audio will give you decent bang for your buck and not break the bank….

Are you planning just for a projector based set up or will there be a TV in there too? If projector only you could think about in wall speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen too.

Looking at the pictures it’s looks to me as though you really only have 2 choices here - projector at the bifold end or where the existing cabling is. Unless you’re planning on chasing power and HDMI cables to the patio doors then I’d say stick with the easiest option!

Your skylight is similar to mine (although mine is flat) so it should be pretty easy to get a made to measure blind to fill the space, ours is remote controller but you can add voice capabilities if you feel the need.

Speaker and AVR wise there are some good package deals on available from the usual suspect online, take a look at the classifieds on here for some bargains too. Denon/Marantz and KEF/Monitor Audio will give you decent bang for your buck and not break the bank….

Are you planning just for a projector based set up or will there be a TV in there too? If projector only you could think about in wall speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen too.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I think having it mid-way along the wall is the most sensible option and allows for more seating if needs be.

Re, the skylight, do you mean you have individual blinds for each of the windows?

I have been looking on the classifieds but it's a bit bewildering as there's such a masssive array of manufacturers and modesl. Will have a scan for those brands though.

This room would just be for movie night, so normal TV viewing would be elsewhere. I did look at getting a large screen TV but for the really big ones, it's just not economic and makes more sense to go the projector route.

Is your build on here so I could have a see?

Ta

Sure, mines here: New extension, new MK cinema
(Our rooms are surprisingly similar!)

For the skylight you should just be able to fit a single rectangular blind rather than trying to cover each pane - here’s mine:
image.jpg

For the skylight you should just be able to fit a single rectangular blind rather than trying to cover each pane - here’s mine: View attachment 1531671
Yep, that's what I was thking to do but where ceiling meets the skylight. What've you done with your patio doors btw? I couldn't see on your thread - great thread by the way and a useful source of info.

Curtains!

image.jpg

For the skylight you should just be able to fit a single rectangular blind rather than trying to cover each pane - here’s mine: View attachment 1531671
Hi,

Seems my wife is amenable to getting an electric blid, similar to yours. Where did you get it from and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?

It was from Vale blinds, all in it was about £900 with solar/battery power and the hidden wire kit. No idea if that’s a good price or a total rip off though!

Hello
If your skylight is clear glass, it is recommended to use a 4K laser ultra short focus projector, which can be paired with the VIVIDSTORM's anti-light screen, so that you can enjoy bright colors even during the day.
If the projector is on the floor or on a table, it will take up part of the middle of your living room, which is inconvenient.
Maybe you can hang the projector from the ceiling or on the wall behind the sofa.
Although a little late, still hope to help you
Hi. I went for a 77" TV in the end to counter the light. Still think I'll need a blind at some point foe the sky light though.

Would you mind sharing the make of the blind for the skylight? We're just planning an extension which will include a lantern and will be our (compromised) cinema room.

See above ^ It was from Vale blinds, all in it was about £900 with solar/battery power and the hidden wire kit. No idea if that’s a good price or a total rip off though!

It was from Vale blinds, all in it was about £900 with solar/battery power and the hidden wire kit. No idea if that’s a good price or a total rip off though!
Maybe a daft question, but before pulling the plug on sky light blind, how much of the light on your screen is actually from there vs patio doors. Just wondering whether I might just be able to get away with doors only. Ta

Not much compared to the doors but we do get the sun in our eyes during the day sometimes so it’s as much for that as it is for reflections when watching in the evening.

Maybe try it first without a blind - it’s just a frame that screws into the wall so easily added at a later date if you find you need one….

Not much compared to the doors but we do get the sun in our eyes during the day sometimes so it’s as much for that as it is for reflections when watching in the evening.

Maybe try it first without a blind - it’s just a frame that screws into the wall so easily added at a later date if you find you need one….
Hi,

Just got my roof lantern blind installed. As it's a few metres they had to add wires to it to add to prevnt it drooping. Noticed last night that certain bass frequencies vibrate the wires annoyingly. Have you got a similar effect at all?

Hi,

Just got my roof lantern blind installed. As it's a few metres they had to add wires to it to add to prevnt it drooping. Noticed last night that certain bass frequencies vibrate the wires annoyingly. Have you got a similar effect at all?
Not that I’ve noticed, not sure if mine has wires or uses a track though - I’ll check and let you know

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom