Advice on £50-80 bookshelf speakers for HifiBerry Amp+

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by warzinak, Aug 4, 2018.

1. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am thinking about setting up a little stereo system in the bedroom with a Raspberry Pi2 I have laying around and HifiBerry Amp+.

I have around £50-80 (id prefer something for £50 tbh but can go up to £80 if a big upgrade) to spend and prefer second hand, my main stereo + AV all use B&W 601/2.

I do not need or want heavy bass as the bedroom is adjacent to the neighbors bedroom and the walls are quite thin. The speakers will also be played at a low volume most of the time.

Id like a few recommendations to look out for please

2. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    I would have suggested one of the Raspberry PI compatible DACs instead (or any class compliance USB DAC) and use active speakers instead of the HiFiberry amp.

For speakers in the price - probably tannoy eclipse maybe just because some places have them for 69quid (Peter Tyson for eg). No idea if they are any good, but at least a reputable name.
    There will not be a lot of choice in decent at that price.

Tannoy Eclipse One Bookshelf Speakers

3. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting, did not even think of that.
    Ill have a look into active speakers

4. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    AKAIK the Hiberry Amp+ is a combined DAC and class D amp, so to drive active speakers from what you have, you would have to replace the amp with a DAC (either a DAC hat or a USB DAC or maybe an SPDIF hat and an external standalone DAC connected via coax or optical).

Given what you have, then passive speakers are your current cheapest option and those I posted about are probably as good as it gets for that amp without spending a lot more (say 130+ or probably up towards 200).

There are a lot of options these days for an R-PI and you can use it with many USB HiFI/Audiophile level DACs. I used to use mine with a dragonfly red USB DAC and now using it with a pro-ject pre-box S2 digital (a decent USB and standalone DAC that can manage most stereo hi-res formats).

It can sometimes be worth using a linear PSU to power the R-PI as the standard PSU can result in some electrical noise over USB which may impact a USB power DAC, but with what you are using, I don't think its worth worrying about.

5. warzinak

warzinak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That is why I was thinking of something second hand.
    B&W601s often go for around £80 but Id probably need something more powerful for those?

6. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +676
    A 10W amp happily run 1Kw speakers so long as the speakers are sensitive enough for the 10W to create a useful SPL with them.

The reason to have a more powerful amp is to deal with lower sensitivity speakers and/or you want the sound to be louder.