Advice of connecting Soundbar to TV with no audio out

Ian Emms

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a Philips 42PF5421/10 TV, and I'm looking at buying a soundbar to use with it, i'm interested in the Philips HTL3120/12. The trouble is there's no audio output.

I've ruled out using the currently unused HDMI socket, unless any here know otherwise.

What I'm thinking is using the remaining Scart socket, with an In/Out Scart to RCA adapter, and an RCA lead, i'm thinking that after looking up info on the TV, the Scarts are detailed CVBS In/Out.

Any help, or suggestions will be very welcome, thanks in anticipation of your replies.

Last edited:
Phillips HTL5120 is what you want ;)

The two most recent and best ways of doing it is by optical or hdmi(if its ARC enabled), neither of which your tv will have. Does it have a headphone socket? if so you could connect it that way? yes the sound wont be quite as good as hdmi or optical but it will still be miles better than the tv speakers. Remember that the sound will have to be controlled by the tv remote.

Phillips HTL5120 is what you want ;)

Thanks for your reply eman :) It does look good I admit, but doesn't seem to me at least, to offer a great deal more for the extra cash, and to be honest the HTL3120/12 is about the limit of my budget.

The two most recent and best ways of doing it is by optical or hdmi(if its ARC enabled), neither of which your tv will have. Does it have a headphone socket? if so you could connect it that way? yes the sound wont be quite as good as hdmi or optical but it will still be miles better than the tv speakers. Remember that the sound will have to be controlled by the tv remote.

Thanks for your reply BM08 :) It does have a headphone socket which I could use.
But I looked at the connections panel, and underneath each Scart socket had, both a square with an arrow pointing inwards with 2 dots (signifying rca sockets I assume? ) and another square with a 2 way arrow, and 3 dots in a triangular pattern. From that is it reasonable to assume that the Scarts have 2 way functionality?

I've been thinking about the devices I use with my TV (Sky+HD, DVD Recorder and PS3) all have optical audio outputs, and the soundbar has an optical audio input.

So I'm thinking of using optical cables, and a 3 way selector, unless there's a major flaw in that plan?

Any pointers or opinions very welcome :)

A 3-way Optical Switch will be ideal - assuming the Soundbar has a user adjustable Digital Audio Delay you will be good to go.

Joe

A 3-way Optical Switch will be ideal - assuming the Soundbar has a user adjustable Digital Audio Delay you will be good to go.

Joe

I've not bought a soundbar as yet, just trying to get every detail sorted before committing myself to one, I am interested in the Philips HTL3120/12 which sounds like just the job for me, I will have to check if it has adjustable audio delay 1st.

I was asking at Currys, whilst looking at soundbars how to connect to a TV with no audio outputs, all I got was "use the headphone socket, although quality will be compromised" possibly in the hope that I'd buy a Soundbar AND TV from them, but that might be me being cynical!!

But thanks for your reply Joe :) I've never set up a home cinema system so it's quite a learning curve.

Just want to add, I've just ordered the Philips HTL3120/12, and optical cables and a splitter :clap:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom