Advice New movie room - target 5.1.2

Bogd4n

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I need to buy pretty much everything to build a home cinema system.
I came up to something but I would appreciate your feedback on this (avr and speakers). Plan is to have a 5.1.2 system, with probably some up-firing atmos speakers. But open to other ideas regarding atmos speakers, except in-ceiling.
I have a 3x4m room with layout as attached pic.
Purpose of this system will be mostly movies and gaming. Netflix, Plex, YouTube, maybe other streaming services in the future, some PS4/PS5 gaming.

I was thinking of used Denon X1400 at around 290 £...or maybe new Sony STR-DH790 at 330 £? New Denon x1600/1700 are listed new at around 560£. But I have to ask if they are really in stock. And I don't know if the new receivers worth the extra money for my use case.

On speaker side I've put my eyes on Monitor Audio Bronze series. (prices below are for new).
Bronze Audio 100 around 168£
Bronze Audio 50 around 135£
Bronze Audio C150 around 100£.
I also found a pack with Bronze Audio 200/50/150 at 525£. Bronze Audio 200 sell alone for 296 £.

As for Atmos speakers or subwoofer I have no ideea what to look for.

Since I don't live in UK, I have converted prices in £.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 3x4_room.jpg
    3x4_room.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 91
Hello all,

I need to buy pretty much everything to build a home cinema system.
I came up to something but I would appreciate your feedback on this (avr and speakers). Plan is to have a 5.1.2 system, with probably some up-firing atmos speakers. But open to other ideas regarding atmos speakers, except in-ceiling.
I have a 3x4m room with layout as attached pic.
Purpose of this system will be mostly movies and gaming. Netflix, Plex, YouTube, maybe other streaming services in the future, some PS4/PS5 gaming.

I was thinking of used Denon X1400 at around 290 £...or maybe new Sony STR-DH790 at 330 £? New Denon x1600/1700 are listed new at around 560£. But I have to ask if they are really in stock. And I don't know if the new receivers worth the extra money for my use case.

On speaker side I've put my eyes on Monitor Audio Bronze series. (prices below are for new).
Bronze Audio 100 around 168£
Bronze Audio 50 around 135£
Bronze Audio C150 around 100£.
I also found a pack with Bronze Audio 200/50/150 at 525£. Bronze Audio 200 sell alone for 296 £.

As for Atmos speakers or subwoofer I have no ideea what to look for.

Since I don't live in UK, I have converted prices in £.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Check out if you have some Yamaha RX-V685 going 2nd hand. Maybe RX-V781 too if you don´t need latest features. X1700H will be in stock soon. X1600H is 2019 model so should be on sale if still available. If you have tv with hdmi 2.1 connection then you can connect PS5 to tv, but you need eARC from av-receiver (RX-V685 and X1600H has it).

The Bronzes are great for movies and music, top contenders within that price range. You have fairly small room so you could get away with 50 fronts and surrounds (or FX if you wall mount them). The Bronze 100 is larger and fuller sounding for music listening. Bronze 200 slim towers if you like the look of them, they can work in smaller rooms but still require some space around to sound best. For movies 50 x 2pairs (or Bronze FX) and C150 plus good subwoofer.

If you can spend 500€ for subwoofer then Monoprice 10 THX is your best bet and will give you very satisfying movie experience.

Unfortunately, couldn't find yet the receivers you mentioned on 2nd market. And new ones aren't quite cheap.

But the prices for the Monitor Audio Bronze seams to be quite good, so I think I will go for those now. I assume I will have to spend some money for the speaker stands...or maybe try do them myself. I have some wood pieces at home, I just need the mood and time to work something.

As for the subwoofer, I didn't expect such a price. :)

Still, if there is something else that I might consider, let me know.

Unfortunately, couldn't find yet the receivers you mentioned on 2nd market. And new ones aren't quite cheap.

But the prices for the Monitor Audio Bronze seams to be quite good, so I think I will go for those now. I assume I will have to spend some money for the speaker stands...or maybe try do them myself. I have some wood pieces at home, I just need the mood and time to work something.

As for the subwoofer, I didn't expect such a price. :)

Still, if there is something else that I might consider, let me know.

Naturally you should always listen first if possible, but if you can`t then you have to take the risk.

For speaker stands any will do that has ~60cm height and the top plate size is not too small or not too large (looks goofy if comes over) vs. speaker width/depth. Look for used stands if you have local audio forums in your country or ebay type of site. New ones go around 100€/pair.

I would steer away from Sony. Hopefully new X1600H is good bit cheaper than X1700H. Otherwise you might aswell get the newer X1700H. I see the shipping has delayed in Europe. Best to contact dealer if they know better. Yamaha RX-V6A would be good choice too, not sure about pricing.

Do you have modern tv with hdmi 2.1 connections?

I have to buy online, based on reviews and forum advices. No possibility to listen the speakers or avr before. :(
Ok, so no Sony DH790. I was reading good reviews about Sony Dh1080, but of course, can't be found anywhere online.
Current prices in online shops put Denon x1600-1700 cheaper than Yamaha RX-V6A (550£ vs 627£). I will wait a bit for the AV part unless I find a good deal on 2nd hand market. I guess even Denon X1400 should be enough, for the right price.

As for TV part, I have an old LG, FullHD only, with mi box s 4k attached for the smart part. But it will be replaced next year by something newer and bigger. Definitely HDMI 2.1 and at least 49".

I was looking yesterday, just for the sake of it, at Samsung Q60A, Q80A, same size, side by side, same demo, and they look the same. Same for Sony X81J, X85J and X93J. I guess quality of the demos and the amount of light in the shop is leveling the differences between the TVs.

I have to buy online, based on reviews and forum advices. No possibility to listen the speakers or avr before. :(
Ok, so no Sony DH790. I was reading good reviews about Sony Dh1080, but of course, can't be found anywhere online.
Current prices in online shops put Denon x1600-1700 cheaper than Yamaha RX-V6A (550£ vs 627£). I will wait a bit for the AV part unless I find a good deal on 2nd hand market. I guess even Denon X1400 should be enough, for the right price.

As for TV part, I have an old LG, FullHD only, with mi box s 4k attached for the smart part. But it will be replaced next year by something newer and bigger. Definitely HDMI 2.1 and at least 49".

I was looking yesterday, just for the sake of it, at Samsung Q60A, Q80A, same size, side by side, same demo, and they look the same. Same for Sony X81J, X85J and X93J. I guess quality of the demos and the amount of light in the shop is leveling the differences between the TVs.
For movies i`m fairly sure you will love the Bronzes and hopefully you can get the Monolith while there is some good deals.

The RX-V6A is more on par with Denon X2700H so that why higher price. Don`t buy too old receiver, as minium X1600H which has eARC so you get picture connecting PS5 to new tv and then sound via eARC.

49" tv i wouldn`t accept that even in bedroom. :) 65" is the new norm, anything smaller than that is questionable. I understand if you want OLED, but read more and maybe you find something that gives you large size and quality picture. I don´t know when the new models come, but usually that time is best to buy tv when you get these 2021 tv`s on sale. We have TV forum here at AVF too so check that out aswell. If you have got used to 1080p tv then you need to sit closer (4K) to see extra detail. Recommended viewing distances below for 4K tv (min/max):

55"4.6 - 6.9 feet
60"5 - 7.5 feet
65"5.4 - 8.1 feet
70"5.8 - 8.75 feet
75"6.3 - 9.4 feet

I am in an odd situation let's say. I live most of the time in a rented room where I have a 49" Sony XF7596. But not enough space for a proper 5.1 system. Also, not enough space for a bigger TV.

The 5.1.2 system I plan to built is at my old place where I spent like 1/3 of my time. There, I have some space and a 32" FullHD LG TV, which is planned to be replaced. It's not a pleasure to watch it when you came from 4k 49" TV. Of course 65" would be nice to have but the main constrain is the budget. I guess I'll have to start doing more overtime at work. :)

I am in an odd situation let's say. I live most of the time in a rented room where I have a 49" Sony XF7596. But not enough space for a proper 5.1 system. Also, not enough space for a bigger TV.

The 5.1.2 system I plan to built is at my old place where I spent like 1/3 of my time. There, I have some space and a 32" FullHD LG TV, which is planned to be replaced. It's not a pleasure to watch it when you came from 4k 49" TV. Of course 65" would be nice to have but the main constrain is the budget. I guess I'll have to start doing more overtime at work. :)
Wow 32" haha! If i look the prices of 70" tvs they have come down so much, decent 65" doesn´t cost much really (Qled Samsung or some LG) and even less if you buy it from sale. Black Friday/Cyber monday would have been ideal and christmas sale coming soon, but i think even better deals could be available when the old models go sale and new ones coming in. Not sure when that is and personally i hate waiting. As for solution on your budget problem i will say that if you want something bad buy it with finance when you see good deals popping up as many electronic stores offer low % interest rate, assuming you have regular income that is. :)

To be honest, I am tired of this rented room, and I need to save some money to buy my own place. This is the main reason am going back and forward with new vs used receiver, or trying to get best deal on any of these.
I can't be 100% at my old place due to my and my Mss job. :) But from time to time we need to have a break and enjoy simple things in life (like a small home cinema system or a nice tv :) )

Back on topic, I just ordered Bronze 100 + Bronze C 150 + Bronze 50 for 390 £.
I though price is too good to miss, compared to amazon, richersounds or crutchfiled, even though, they don't even deliver in my country.

To be honest, I am tired of this rented room, and I need to save some money to buy my own place. This is the main reason am going back and forward with new vs used receiver, or trying to get best deal on any of these.
I can't be 100% at my old place due to my and my Mss job. :) But from time to time we need to have a break and enjoy simple things in life (like a small home cinema system or a nice tv :) )

Back on topic, I just ordered Bronze 100 + Bronze C 150 + Bronze 50 for 390 £.
I though price is too good to miss, compared to amazon, richersounds or crutchfiled, even though, they don't even deliver in my country.

Great. Hope you find some cheap stands, even used ones if you can find some 60cm tall. Just check the top plate size is not too small. Or if that av unit has similar height and over 2m width then maybe you can use it as you don´t have space for subwoofer at front otherwise. You want the Bronze 100s about 20-30cm away from front wall. I think the front stage is going to sound great with some serious weight and scale. One thing lot of people do mistake is hiding the center channel inside cabinet too low shooting knees. This speaker carries ~70% of soundtrack so put some effort to get it close to seated ear height and in "free air" preferably rather than inside unit. When you buy new tv i would consider floor tv stand or wall mounting it so you don´t compromise center channel position. And if possible keep the couch 0,5-1meter away min from rear wall, everything will sound bit better if you don´t sit/lay against wall.

What you think of the Monoprice, is it too large or good size?

SVS has still the old SB1000 & SB2000 at Amazon Germany if you want smaller sealed sub. Less rumble/impact, but we need to consider the available space too. The front wall either corner looks ideal in your room, but the question is will the speakers fit on top of unit and is it tall enough as you want ideally the tweeters at seated ear height? Other option is B100s on speaker stands pushed forward and smaller SVS behind in corner.

Amazon product ASIN B00APGRC5K
Amazon product ASIN B00JLENGNY

I am quite sure I have some pieces of wood at home so that I can build the speakers stands myself. Who knows, maybe I'll find a new hobby. :)

As for TV stand, I already have it and don't plan to replace it. It has 160 x 41.5 x 52 cm (L x W x H), so I don't think it can fit the TV and Bronze 100. This is the exact model:

And also I didn't though too much about center speaker position. I was quite sure it would be just fine in the middle slot below the TV. With the suggestion you provide, I have to wall mount the TV like 20-30 cm above tv stand...but I have power, catv, lan cables on the middle of that wall, from top to bottom. I'll take a few pics next week.

TV stand is 160 cm in length, so it means I'm left with 70 cm each side to the walls. Will have to see what's available here, maybe I can find better discounts for the sub. But I did not expect to pay more for the sub than for the other speakers together. Was thinking I can get one with 2-300 £. :)

I am quite sure I have some pieces of wood at home so that I can build the speakers stands myself. Who knows, maybe I'll find a new hobby. :)

As for TV stand, I already have it and don't plan to replace it. It has 160 x 41.5 x 52 cm (L x W x H), so I don't think it can fit the TV and Bronze 100. This is the exact model:

And also I didn't though too much about center speaker position. I was quite sure it would be just fine in the middle slot below the TV. With the suggestion you provide, I have to wall mount the TV like 20-30 cm above tv stand...but I have power, catv, lan cables on the middle of that wall, from top to bottom. I'll take a few pics next week.

TV stand is 160 cm in length, so it means I'm left with 70 cm each side to the walls. Will have to see what's available here, maybe I can find better discounts for the sub. But I did not expect to pay more for the sub than for the other speakers together. Was thinking I can get one with 2-300 £. :)

Sure if you handyman, but they need to be sturdy and they look usually quite awfull unless painted etc and that takes weeks. As i said just look what is available 2nd hand used, they won`t cost much usually. 60cm height and top plate size let´s say 165mm (W) x 200mm (D) minium. These would be for the front mains. Not sure did you plan to wall mount the Bronze 50s at the side walls or place them in each rear corners with stands, surround channels.

Yes wall bracket that accepts different size tv`s so you can use it with the new one then too. Maybe you will do this once you get new tv so no need to cut holes two times as you buy larger tv. If your tv has small feet which doesn´t come out much you could just raise the tv for the time being, just use your imagination how to do it so you get center channel in front tv without it blocking picture.

Monoprice 10 THX dimensions: 480mm (H) x 380mm (W) x 500mm (D). If the speaker stands bases are 25cm wide and sub is 38cm then it should fit there between one Bronze 100 and center channel assuming you have 70cm to play for. There is nothing special for that price with subwoofers, especially in Europe. Go cheap, buy twice. If you can`t afford right away then be without it for while and save up to get Mono if you want to be blown away. :)

I assume we need to look speaker wires too. This is popular for low price, 2,5mm OFC (Oxygen Free Copper over cheap CCA wire). Just measure how much you need total and then choose the roll length and cut for each..
Amazon product ASIN B01C79Z1FU
Subwoofer cable: Amazon product ASIN B00FQK31DW

Small update. I received the speakers this week and brought them to my place.
Still looking for a receiver, hopefully I will find something in the next weeks. Maybe I will test them a bit on my really old stereo receiver.

I've put Monitor Audio Bronze 50 against my old Magnat Monitor C speakers...hmmm...not sure now that I've made the right decision. 😁

Attachments

• IMG_20211213_202142.jpg
    IMG_20211213_202142.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 82
Can't decide between Denon X1400 vs X2400. The latter one being 60€, more expensive, both used.
Does it worth the extra 15w per channel another 60€? As this is the only advantage I'm able to see at this point.

Update:
Bought one used Denon X2400 and speaker cables recommended above by @Gasp3621 .
Next up is TV and subwoofer, whichever I manage to get first for a considerable discount. :)
Monolith THX 10" and Sony X85J (55" or 65") are on my watch list.

Update:
Bought one used Denon X2400 and speaker cables recommended above by @Gasp3621 .
Next up is TV and subwoofer, whichever I manage to get first for a considerable discount. :)
Monolith THX 10" and Sony X85J (55" or 65") are on my watch list.

There is VALENTINE22 code going for Mono 10 now to get -14% discount! Don`t miss it!

Good to hear you got the better Denon. It`s little beefier and there is some few things which surely made it worth the few extra bucks.

Work in progress. I bought some stuffs, slowly putting pieces together.

Attachments

• IMG_20220324_232816.jpg
    IMG_20220324_232816.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 37

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom