Advice: New 606 S2 Anniversary X used 805S

marcos alvarenga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My first time here. I have just bought a Cambridge Audio CXA81. Now looking for my fist “serious” audio setup.
Heard some Dynaudio M20, but found it lacking bass. So the shop owner introduced me to a pair of secondhand B&W 805S. I was in love. But they are yet quite expensive. Found a new 606S2 Anniversary edition for the half of the price. Besides, they are present-day speakers with several positive reviews.
So, considering price, value, my amp, and sound, what would you take?
1FAB3CDC-3ED1-481B-A37F-F7FC89E1C292.jpeg

Hello,

My first time here. I have just bought a ) . Now looking for my fist “serious” audio setup.
Heard some Dynaudio M20, but found it lacking bass. So the shop owner introduced me to a pair of secondhand B&W 805S. I was in love. But they are yet quite expensive. Found a new 606S2 Anniversary edition for the half of the price. Besides, they are present-day speakers with several positive reviews.
View attachment 1539064
Hiyas!

First re the Dynaudio.. they only come alive at high volume re the bass... I have the Dm2/6 on my Roksan (115W x 2 into 8 ohms, 220W x 2 into 4 ohm) and i have to get up around half volume before the bass really comes alive.. this is normal for Dynaudio. I am not sure the Cambridge can deliver this kind of power without really annoying the neighbours.. It has the wattage yes at 120w into the 4ohms of the Emit.. but i think the cambridge is just too polite

B&W ... yes.... good bass.. agreed... ok treble... can be hard though... its that midrange that's the problem with B&W speakers and its finding a balance that works for you.

The 606 is not a party speaker.. it doesn't do so well at higher volumes but its ok at low to mid levels

The 805s have a big issue.. their crossover is at 4khz.. which is going to give a very hard bright treble with a very recessed mid....

Out of the B&W's .. i think the 606 is the better of the 2 on how it sounds whereas the 805s has the looks and needs some heavy room eq correction to sort that crossover mess out

Hiyas!

First re the Dynaudio.. they only come alive at high volume re the bass... I have the Dm2/6 on my Roksan (115W x 2 into 8 ohms, 220W x 2 into 4 ohm) and i have to get up around half volume before the bass really comes alive.. this is normal for Dynaudio. I am not sure the Cambridge can deliver this kind of power without really annoying the neighbours.. It has the wattage yes at 120w into the 4ohms of the Emit.. but i think the cambridge is just too polite

B&W ... yes.... good bass.. agreed... ok treble... can be hard though... its that midrange that's the problem with B&W speakers and its finding a balance that works for you.

The 606 is not a party speaker.. it doesn't do so well at higher volumes but its ok at low to mid levels

The 805s have a big issue.. their crossover is at 4khz.. which is going to give a very hard bright treble with a very recessed mid....

Out of the B&W's .. i think the 606 is the better of the 2 on how it sounds whereas the 805s has the looks and needs some heavy room eq correction to sort that crossover mess out
Thank your for the quick answer and sharing your large knowledge on the matter.

So I'm heading to the appropiate direction, as long as my wall neighbor had a baby last month, and I wouldn't explore higher volumes so soon. No parties for quite a while.

Thank your for the quick answer and sharing your large knowledge on the matter.

So I'm heading to the appropiate direction, as long as my wall neighbor had a baby last month, and I wouldn't explore higher volumes so soon. No parties for quite a while.
There will be a lot of other answers to come i expect on this thread .. but the best thing for you to do is get yourself down a store that has the 606.. take your cambridge with you .. and demo it.. that way you can judge for yourself if it is the right speaker for you :)

The earlier version of the 606 (not S2) is the one I have. Paired with my Denon 100 watt (8ohm) per channel amp, they work a treat. However, that’s in my room so as @Orobas implies, get down to your nearest store or better still, ask them for a pair on a loan and return/buy basis.

The earlier version of the 606 (not S2) is the one I have. Paired with my Denon 100 watt (8ohm) per channel amp, they work a treat. However, that’s in my room so as @Orobas implies, get down to your nearest store or better still, ask them for a pair on a loan and return/buy basis.
Thanks. Doing that as soon as my CXA81 arrives.

Personally I’d go for the 805s every time. Considerably superior engineering all round.

As Orobas says the x-over is high, but I can’t imagine that B&W have it anything other than perfectly sorted.

Personally I’d go for the 805s every time. Considerably superior engineering all round.

As Orobas says the x-over is high, but I can’t imagine that B&W have it anything other than perfectly sorted.
That 805 is a hard speaker to match amp and source wise as a result of that crossover.. its midrange is almost non existent as a result.. With the right amp and source (naim, older MF, tube, class A stuff like sugden).. I would definitely agree with you @Paul7777x .. but with what the OP has.. yeah no.. not gonna happen lol

Hello,

My first time here. I have just bought a Cambridge Audio CXA81. Now looking for my fist “serious” audio setup.
View attachment 1539064

What amplifier did you listen to the 805s with in the shop?

The 851 is a lusty jump over the CXA.

Can you take your amp to the dealers and have another listen to the 805s using the CXA-81.

I don’t think there’ll be a problem at all, but it’s a big investment, so it’s worth taking the time.

The 851 is a lusty jump over the CXA.

Can you take your amp to the dealers and have another listen to the 805s using the CXA-81.

I don’t think there’ll be a problem at all, but it’s a big investment, so it’s worth taking the time.
I thought the CXA was better than the 851.
When it arrives I will schedule that. Thanks.

The 851 is on of CAs class XD amplifiers, with a prodigious 120W (at least) and a massive current supply.

The 81 is by no means anything but a great amp, but it’s not on par with the 851.

The 81 sounds like boiled mud compared to the 851... they are in a totally different class of amplifiers and price range.. The 851 is a much more refined amp and has much clearer sound to the 81. It's not a bad amp to be honest which is why you liked the B&W805s with it..

That is one of the reasons i said the 81 would be a poor match for the 805 and it would be better out of the 3 speakers you mentioned on the 606

Do you know when you are not experienced and don’t know what feature or attribute to look at when choosing your new stuff? I should have studied more before pulling the trigger.

Do you know when you are not experienced and don’t know what feature or attribute to look at when choosing your new stuff? I should have studied more before pulling the trigger.

The 81 is by no means a poor amplifier. Very far from it in fact.

CA are renowned for making serious amplifiers at less than you’d expect to pay for such performance.

I can’t see you being anything other than very happy with the CXA.

The 851 is a better amp, certainly, but then the new Edge series are better than the 851...

And big Krells are better again.

But like all of us you can only buy up to your budget, and for your budget you’ve got a top class amplifier.

Ps, if you bought the 81 from a shop that’s has a used 851, or is likely to get one, then there should be no problem exchanging it as you haven’t even received it yet.

Pps, I also wouldn’t get stuck on B&W speakers either. If you love the 805s on the end of your 81, then that’s an easy decision indeed.

If not then there are untold numbers of speakers to choose from.

I’d suggest, for instance considering Dali, Monitor Audio, Tannoy and absolutely Dynaudio.

B&W are certainly well respected but no more so than most others.

If you can get hold of some used Dynaudios for instance I think you might prefer them. I certainly do.

I don’t know how much your budget is, but I’d buy all or any of these before the B&W 6 series.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Pps, I also wouldn’t get stuck on B&W speakers either. If you love the 805s on the end of your 81, then that’s an easy decision indeed.

If not then there are untold numbers of speakers to choose from.

I’d suggest, for instance considering Dali, Monitor Audio, Tannoy and absolutely Dynaudio.

B&W are certainly well respected but no more so than most others.

If you can get hold of some used Dynaudios for instance I think you might prefer them. I certainly do.
My first listening was with a Dynaudio M20. I felt a poor bass, but there were another variables then: the amplifier was not-so-good Cambridge AXR100. Besides the room was huge and so on.

Another thing I would like to know about is wiring. What should I choose?

The Dynaudios mentioned above are a big step up from the M20s as is your amp from the CA 100.

And as you say, a large room is a poor substitute for listening in your own, likely smaller, listening room.

And any single change in variables can and does negate the usefulness of any test.

As for speaker cable...

Buy the least expensive 2.5mm^2 copper cable you can find, it shouldn’t cost more then the equivalent of around £4 per metre maximum.

QED 79 strand is usually decently priced and is easily all you need.

If anyone tries to sell you more expensive cable just politely refuse. Or laugh at them, whichever is your thing.

There are lots of cons in hifi, not many bigger than expensive cable though.

So now they are at home. At first I put them on the dinning table. My wife woke up and said they are ugly, and would not fit in any place of our home. I told her to wait and listen to them. Turned it on and played Vivaldi’s Winter, from the Four seasons, and after that Adele on Church Studios singing when we were young. She was silent, and said: “They need to fit somewhere, we need them”.

Making some setup tests. Even too close to the wall it sounded good IMO

I have to settle this today, otherwise I won’t live until next sunday.
71EA3B30-E301-44CF-ADD1-76AE2D3E75B3.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom