1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GeordieKeith, Mar 29, 2003.

1. GeordieKeith

GeordieKeith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy a camcorder for mainly familiy/holidays so nothing professional. I want to be able to then transfer these films to either VCD or DVD to played on the TV. I believe a MiniDV machine would be best to acheive this with the best possible quality.

I have approx £1000 to spend on the camcorder and would appreciate any suggestions. I would prefer one of the slim ones. Also another question, would I need to convert the pictures once downloaded from the camcorder or will I be able to write them straight to VCD or DVD?

Look forward to peoples suggestions.

2. GeordieKeith

GeordieKeith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Also, although not vital, I would like one which can take good still pictures as well.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Once you video has been copied from the camcorder to the PC they will have to be converted.
    The camcorder creates an AVI file (DV) which is then copied directly to the PC without (usally) being converted.
    The AVI file will need to be converted to MPEG-1 for VCD or MPEG-2 for SVCD & DVD.
    Most of the basic editing software can capture and convert the footage or there are several free downloads that will do the converting.

£1000 should get you a very nice camcorder. MiniDV is the best, but if you have old 8mm/Hi8 films that you want to be able to play back then you might want to look at one of the Sony Digital8 camcorders.
    Best advice is to got to (dare I say it) Dixons or Jessops and play with some of the models to see which you like. Then get on the internet and find the best price for your chosen model. Print off the details (phone number/price/company etc.) and go to Jessops who will price match for you.

Mark.

4. GeordieKeith

GeordieKeith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MarkE19.

5. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another option of transferring your video when you decide which
    dv camcorder you'll buy, which no one seems to be suggesting, is to think about recording your video to a Panasonic HS-2 DVD recorder, which has a firewire input. You can download your video
    to the 40 gigabyte hard drive in the recorder, edit it, then burn your edited footage onto a dvd-r disc in the same deck, with what
    I consider no loss of quality. I know that you can do a lot of other
    things with pc software, but with the Panny deck it's a simple no-nonsense way to convert your video to dvd.
    Just a thought. Good luck. Tunes Man.