Advice needed

guvvie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to all this and have been happy with listening to DD soundtracks using the onboard decoder on my tosh 36zp38. But After listening to a friends set up using a AV reciever I was blown away. I have ordered the speakers, I have gone for the Canton CD 1's. I was all decided on getting the Denon 1906 but now I am not so sure. I don't really wanna spend over £350, the system will be used for TV/movies only. From reading stuff on here I think I would quite like component video up conversion because I can then let the amp do the audio/visual switching which I assume is the best way to go. So any advice on whether to stick with my initial idea and get the denon, or whether to switch to one of the Yamaha's (RX-V557S, RX-V657S), or switch to one that I haven't mentioned would be very much appreciated.

Oct 05 What HiFi has a group test of £250£350 receivers which be worth a read, the Denon 1906 comes out on top but no of them have component upconversion IIRC.

Sept 05 had £500 group test and the Yam757 had up conversion but was pimpped to he post by the Pioneer VSX-1015 (without component up conversion). My Yam 650 does not have component up conversion.

If you do not have component up conversion you can still use the amp to do the video switching. I have my dvd (Pio 575) connected to the amp via component with another spare component in ready sto SKY HD and then Humax PVR via S-video with ~ 5 s-video spare just in case.

What about WMV Pro decoding and HDMI inputs??

I am still unclear about how it all connects togther. I thought I would be connecting my ps2, dvd player to the avr using component, my sky+ using svideo and then come out the back of the amp to the component sockets on my tv, is this not correct? Can I do it like this without component up conversion? At the mo I only have a CRT TV but I will be getting a 37" LCD around xmas time, so HDMI inputs will be needed in the future.

i do not think so, IIRC correctly you can not send s-video over a component cable.

I have

pvr s-video to amp, s-video to LCD
ps2 scart to s-video cable, s-video to LCD
dvd component to amp, component to LCD

Both connections to the LCD are the monitor out connections on the back of the amp.
Just to confirm although i have 3 devices connected i only have 2 cables connected to the LCD.

If you had a conponent up conversion amp then you would only need one cable to the amp.

Your TV can accept s-video over a scart cable so you could configure your setup the same as mine.

If you want HDMI your looking about a grand or so now :eek:

So I guess I have three choice's.

1/ Get the Denon and connect ps2 component to avr then onto TV, dvd component to avr then onto TV and sky+ scart to TV. (I do not want to do Sky+ svideo to avr then onto TV because my svideo connection is on the front of the TV).

2/ Same as above but come out of sky+ rgb cart and into one of these then into amp then into TV.

3/ Or just buy one of the Yamaha's and let them do the video switching.

At the mo I am leaning towards 1 but I am unsure as to what are the benifits of running everything through the amp. Will it make switching sources easier? Plus I have seen alot more positve reviews for the Denon than the Yamaha's for movies/TV.
Any comments on the three options I listed would be appreciated.

Option 1 is ok
Option 2 you could use 2 of these and connect sky scart to s-video at rear of amp and s-video monitor out to tv your with another one these cables.
Option 3 will cost more money but is still acceptable.

Real advantage is video switching. By using the amp to do the switching you only need 1 x component to tv and 1 x s-video to tv (in your case it will be an scart-to-s-video cable. If in the future you wish to add another device with component out or s-video then you do not have to worry about not having enought sockets on your tv!

The Yamaha RX-V657 is only £300 from pixmania.co.uk - have just ordered it. 'Tis the option I'd go with (in fact the option I have just gone for!)

Made my mind up and decided to go for the Yamaha 757. Went to my local RS and they said they would do it for £385, then i had a closer look and though hmm is that goliath gonna fit inside my cabinet. Went home and had a measure up before I bought it and it didnt fit :(. So I just went out and bought a 1906 for £265, just gotta wait for my CD1's to be delivered so I can test this baby out.

Guvvie

Any update here - I have come across the same problem with size of the 757 :( , have yet to decide on which machine to go for. I may place the amp to the side/behind the plasma, but it's not ideal!

Anyway - let us know how you got on.
Cheers
Will

The amp is still in its box in the bedroom. Took a while longer to get my Cantons delivered than I hoped, but it looks like I will be getting them on Friday. I will let you know how everything sounds when connected.

I am still unsure whether I will be going Sky+ svideo to avr to svideo on TV, or Sky+ RGB Scart direct to the TV, or Buy one of these and go sky+ rgb to converted yuv to amp and have one input to the TV. Has anyone used the Maplins one? Because its alot cheaper than the JS Tech one and I was wondering if the picture would be affected.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom