Advice needed

raz77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi planning on a music setup in my living room. I have a 7.1 B&W M1 setup from a Marantz 1608 for tv. Want a separate system for music. Was thinking of a used kef Ls50 wireless with a AirPort Extreme connected for Apple Music but have concerns with long term reliability. My preferred option at the moment seems to be a bluesound powernode 2i powering either Q concept 20s or epos K1i. I will mainly be listening to Apple Music and are hoping they latter bring out a device I can add to get full 24bit 192k lossless music or bluesound add this into there system down the Line.

Pictures of my room show current setup. If get Kef or epos K1i will get stands for them, concept 20 was thinking of putting on white cabinet below tv.

Attachments

• B8834E72-F449-4449-875E-134CB5199DEF.jpeg
    B8834E72-F449-4449-875E-134CB5199DEF.jpeg
    263.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 1C182192-32AC-45C1-B6A6-B4D628204582.jpeg
    1C182192-32AC-45C1-B6A6-B4D628204582.jpeg
    273.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 71F73BBB-668E-4693-802F-2EDC35F98118.jpeg
    71F73BBB-668E-4693-802F-2EDC35F98118.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 68
The NR1608 has pre-outs for the front speakers so you could get a stereo amp with HT-Bypass which would allow you to run the fronts from the Marantz for surround and from the stereo amp for music. However HT Bypass amps tend to be the more expensive end of the market. The Audiolab 6000a can operate this way and is a good amp at around £600. Be aware that different manufacturers call HT Bypass different things so worth checking the manual.

If you have a smart TVs with Apple Music built in the 6000a has a very good DAC so you can connect the TV via an optical cable.

Just a thought to save you having two sets of speakers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, as much as I like the M1 I am sure there are better speakers for music. I do like to just also chill and listen to music. That’s why I want a fairly good setup for that.

I have the Denon DRA 800 -h connected to Concept 20s . I use Apple Music a lot direct from my phone in conjunction with Airplay 2 and is compatible with the HomePod in the kitchen. Here’s the living room set up

Attachments

• 57BC1C80-1DB1-412C-9139-F5C202F47F6D.jpeg
    57BC1C80-1DB1-412C-9139-F5C202F47F6D.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 5FCD71FE-C3B4-474F-AD90-48B62D564537.jpeg
    5FCD71FE-C3B4-474F-AD90-48B62D564537.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 66
I take it you are happy with concept 20s?, l seem to be learning towards these with the bluesound powernode.

Definitely. For music and films, they work really well. With Films I use a sub as well as another pair of speakers at the rear for atmospheric feel.
PS . It’s the 2nd pair of Concept 20s I’ve owned.

The NR1608 has pre-outs for the front speakers so you could get a stereo amp with HT-Bypass which would allow you to run the fronts from the Marantz for surround and from the stereo amp for music. However HT Bypass amps tend to be the more expensive end of the market. The Audiolab 6000a can operate this way and is a good amp at around £600. Be aware that different manufacturers call HT Bypass different things so worth checking the manual.

If you have a smart TVs with Apple Music built in the 6000a has a very good DAC so you can connect the TV via an optical cable.

Just a thought to save you having two sets of speakers.
That would mean a mismatched front 3 if sticking with the BW unless going for the additional expense of the concept centre to tonally match the concept 20s.

There is plenty of space to have a pair of concept 20s and a stereo amp.

Looking at concept 20 and now possibly kef ls50 to pair with bluesound powernode

Looking at concept 20 and now possibly kef ls50 to pair with bluesound powernode

I very much doubt the power node has the power to please the Kefs. They are notorious for being a tough to drive speaker.

The kef R series are an easier load,

And they are genuine three way speakers with all the clarity and dynamic ability that that implies.

The R300 are very similar. And both are a good couple of leagues better than the Concept 20s.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
The kef ls50 I have seen are half the price of the R3, if you think the powernode will struggle with the kef ls50 I will then look at the concept 20

Such as.

If you want to use a Node, then instead I’d buy the Node2 and use it as a preamp into active speakers.

A considerable improvement on the QAs. Available in black too.

A whole different experience to passive speakers, especially with less than stellar amps.

Looking for ideally white or black, the concept 20 I was looking at where white and the kef ls50 where all black.The R3 are nice in black just more than I want to spend. If I get the R3 I may as well then consider the LS50 Wireless version 2. I have seen one being sold for £1800, where as I can get the powernode and concept 20 for around £850 vs powernode and used LS50 around £1050

If the Dynaudios are pushing your budget then these are an excellent alternative with a very useful discount now.

Looking for ideally white or black, the concept 20 I was looking at where white and the kef ls50 where all black.The R3 are nice in black just more than I want to spend. If I get the R3 I may as well then consider the LS50 Wireless version 2. I have seen one being sold for £1800, where as I can get the powernode and concept 20 for around £850 vs powernode and used LS50 around £1050

I see the dilemma...

However, the node 2i coupled with the Dynaudios above are a league above the concept 20s and the powernode. And, I suspect, the
LS50s too.

Also, these are a singular bargain.

Bit of a drive but these R500 will be a significant upgrade on any suggested so far, good price too.

All good suggestions and I am now not sure which is best option.

Also, if you don’t mind the marks, these are £1500 speakers, for a third of that, and again will wipe out the Concept 20s.

I think looking at all options and the room this morning the Q concept 20 sat on the white cabinet in white will go well without upsetting my wife. One last spanner in the works. Considering I am want these to just play music from Apple Music. I have the option to get a pair of kef LSX cheaper than the node and concept 20 combination. What will give me the best sound quality for stereo music only streaming from Apple Music.

1. stay as I am with Marantz 1608 with B&W M1 with Pv1 sub in a 2.1 setup for music
2. Bluesound Powernode 2i with Q Concept 20 in white sat on white tv cabinet.
3. Kef lsx sat on tv cabinet

The eBay seller for the Epps K1i has asked me to resubmit my offer price for these. So could potentially get these on white with black stands to go I between the M1 on stands and the white cabinet with the powernode. This is another option to the ones I have said above. I have decided on these now. Just want people’s advise which is best for just music steaming again from Apple Music. Will not be using anything else.

Difficult to answer that one as we are not in your room. However, leaving room dynamics aside, on paper the lsx should do it. Looking at Paul’s suggestions though, could you not persuade your dear lady that those Dynaudio Xeo10s fit her bill? I’ve always liked those and they have been mightily well received .

My cinema room has Monitor audio 6’s and I am waiting for my Anthem AV 70 to turn up. Do I have one room already set aside for listening to music at reference level and enjoying loud. The Living room is the compromise for me and my wife. If I had my way there would be large floor stand speakers in there and a dedicated powerful stereo amp in there. I do like the Dynaudio xeo 10s, just to big. I was contemplating the LS50 wireless 2 but again I think too big and won’t look right with other speakers in the room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom