1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by montymole, Jul 29, 2005.

1. montymole

montymole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We're looking at buying 4 LCD/Plasma TV's varying in size from 22" to 37" for the main bedroom, 2 spare/guest bedrooms, and a gym area. With the TV's in the main bedroom and gym being used the most and 2 guest bedrooms only being used occasionally.

Ideally we're looking for TV's that have a built in tuner as we don’t have the shelve space for a separate tuner and we'd also prefer them to be HD ready (especially on the more expensive screens). Picture and sound quality and obviously very important!!

I'd really appreciate anyone who could recommend/advice/help as to what TV's would meet these requirements? As we don't know where to start :confused:

Many Thanks

P.S ~ can anyone recommend stockist(s) that would give me slightly more discount, due to the fact I would be purchasing 4?

2. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Go for the Panasonic 37"pv500 plasma. I think this meets your requirements.

On lcd's the only decent PQ i have seen was from philips(v.good PQ and i-pod like looks) and a hitachi. Also the 22" Lcd's cost almost as much as 26" so you may get better value going for the latter.
    Richer sounds are doing a 26" Hitachi for 550 which seems to get a good rating on the lcd forum.

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    If you are buying 4 screens now then forget the HD ready if you haven't the space for external tuners. HD will only be from Sky or Blue Ray etc., it won't come over a conventional aerial for the foreseeable future.

You didn't mention your main room so I am assuming that you have something good there, hence your questions about other rooms, and I assume you therefore know what can be done! Sound from any of the plasma TVs won't match a dedicated 5.1 / 7.1 system through a proper AV receiver but the sound from a Panasonic PV500 surprised me - it wasn't half bad.

For the smaller screens I would forget about HD and go for ones that have integrated Freeview receivers. There are several LCD screens with IDTV about to be released. Toshiba might be worth a look.