• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice needed

BenB2k

Standard Member
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice?

I have recently purchased the below from eBay as a cheap alternative before potentially investing in a better model down the line in years to come.

SONY STR-KS1100 Digital Surround Sound System

After some research it looks like the unit does not pass sound through the hdmi out.

My question is, i currently have a Hannspree hdtv which I have only had the built in tinny speakers for sound and this has been fine.

I expect the sound if connected with optical cable would be much better than what I experience through the tv's speakers itself but of a lesser quality than if it was connected via hdmi, would I really notice much of a difference realistically?

I am, as you have probably guessed not the most technically minded and audio knowledge is limited.

I plan on connecting my ps3 for blurays/gaming and sky box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for looking.

Ben

Cahardimge

Established Member
I think what you have discovered is correct. Optical is what you need for your audio. This will give you a big improvement over your TV speakers. Don't worry about HDMI for audio as this is not an option.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Optical will mean you will not get HD audio with blurays but all other sources the sound will be the same as HDMI. So only blurays would give any difference and even then the difference between SD and HD audio is not massive so I would not worry too much.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom